Can't get cover after expiry of house insurance.

A

ajur

My house insurance was up for renewal a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, I forgot to renew on time. They are now telling me that they won't honour the quote, that it would now count as new business and, further, because I've had a claim in the last year (water damage - approx 9,000 euro) they won't insure me at all. I've rung a few other insurers (Aviva, Allianz) and they're not even willing to consider it either. Can this be right? Because I make one claim (the only one I've ever made) - I can't get insurance. What can I do?

They don't offer advice. I've contacted them and they just say fill in a complaint form. The problem is I don't know whether I have grounds for a complaint or who the complaint would be made against - the broker (AA) or the insurerer? (RSA). I've only ever dealt with the broker, but it's RSA who are refusing to insure. Does anybody out there have any suggestions as to how to proceed with this?

Just to correct that - the Ombudsman has a separate Insurance Information line (I think it's called) and they have given some good advice. Just waiting to hear back from the insurers now.

Could I ask, without seeking names, location or details, whether the extent of the water damage implies that your dwelling is located in the flood plain?

Good question ONQ.
If it is in a flood plain then there may be issues getting flood damage insured, however there should be no issues with the insurance for other perils such as fire, malicious damage etc.

I have another question - did you receive a renewal notification/invite?

If you recieve a series of declinatures for insurance cover, (I think it is either 3 or 5), you are entitled to approach first insurer that declined and request that they provide a quote. As far as I am aware this is legislation backing this up. You will need to have supporting documentation that the insurers declined to quote.

In dealing with the financial services ombudsman, there is no point in contacting them unless you have exhausted all complaint channels with the financial services provider you are dealing with. The FSO is a last resort.

I hope this helps and good look with the insurance.

Similar issues

Hi
I was just wondering how this turned out for you, I am really concerned that we are uninsured, we had a flood in our kitchen due to a failing filter on an american fridge, we had to have floors ripped out among other things... we also had a leaking pipe in 2009 for which we had to have plumber reports etc, now they are looking for more reports from plumbers even though the latest claim was due to a faulty appliance.

I cant get quotes from any other companies. What is the point in having insurance if you are penalised for using it. Both claims were necessary and accidental what am I to do, I am really worried because we have 3 small children and are unemployed, if our house burns down we have no cover.

But you have a quote from your existing company right? So no one is preventing you from using insurance. Other insurers have acceptance criteria and you don't fit them so they wont quote.

Back