Cant get cold water from Shower

Kitty

Hi there,

I dont seem to be able to get cold water from my ensuite (pump) shower and was hoping for some advice.
My water is heated by gas, and when there is plenty of hot water in the tank, I cant reduce the temp of the water from shower head. The Thermostat/dial on the shower reads 30-45 (degrees?), but the lowest setting (30) is too darn hot - I'm getting scalded! A friend suggested that maybe the shower isnt attached to the cold water pipe. Does this sound plausible/possible? Should builder come back to fix it (House is 1 year old) or is there an easy answer (like some tap or valve in my hotpress needs to be turned/ opened - there are lots of taps/levers in there about which I have no clue).
An ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Kitty

hi kitty
firstly i am no expert,but i had the same problem with my showers,either scalding or stone cold.it turned out the plumber confused the pipework hot to cold and vice versa,which i am led to believe confuses the thermostat.i had the pipework reversed(had to break away a lot of tiles to do this,but however it worked).it may not be the same as your problem,but thought it worth a mention.best of luck with it.by the way there are a couple of good plumbers posting on this site,i reckon they will be able to help you.

It may be that the cold water flow wasn't connected properly. Have had this problem recently. Plumber connected the hot water feed but not the cold. I found the problem in the attic so didn't need to break tiles or anything else.

You should also look at servicing your thermostatic control. There are little disks and filters in there that may be dirty/blocked.

Thanks for replies. Wolfspeed - is the job you did in the attic something I'd need a plumber for? If its fairly easy I could give it a go, or ask my Dad - but maybe I'd need a professional? Ques: If it wasnt done right from the begining, should the builder fix it free of charge? Is this kind of thing covered under home bond?
Thanks again.
Kitty