Can't download file with .exe extension.

Sue Ellen

Moderator.
Hi All,

I have received an attachment on Hotmail which I need to download but it will not allow me to do so and the problem would appear to that Hotmail does not support .exe files?

I have tried to forward it on to someone else but it only sends the mail without the attachment.

Is it correct that I will need to get the sender to put the attachment in a zip file and this will overcome the problem?

BTW a lot of the above is over my head :)

Would you like a Gmail account? If so, send me a PM with your Hotmail address.

I've never heard that chat up line before ;)

Gmail is the best email out there. Once you start using Gmail you'll never go back.

The sender in the absence of Gmail could try zipping the file or if zip is not working, could also try renaming it e.g as exe.txt and you can put a proper name and accurate extension back on it after downloading at your end.

Alternatively, you could just try to 'fool' Hotmail — which won't let you open/download an executable file (ending in '.exe') because that's a common file extension for virus/trojans to come in.

Try this — rather than clicking on the download link in the normal way, right-click on it and in the 'save as' dialogue, rename the file from sueellen.exe to something like sueellen.doc. Watch where you save it to — your 'My Documents' folder or some subfolder. Then right-click on the file (which will have a standard Word document icon) and rename it back to sueellen.exe.

N.B. Before double-clicking on the file to open it, right-click again and scan it with your anti-virus!

[Edit: post crossed with sign's]

If your Hotmail account was not set up in the past few months then you should still be able to collect it using Outlook Express and (possibly after tweaking the security settings to allow EXEs to be downloaded) download it there. Newer Hotmail accounts don't work with OE or you have to pay or something.

Thanks for the advice all.

I tried to fool Hotmail but unfortunately it is not even a link and appears to be just text so I am not getting the option to Save when I right click.

I have e-mailed the sender and asked them to resend in a different format.

Thanks for the offer CCOVICH I will have a think about changing over and if necessary will get in touch.

Thanks again.

Back