Can't Decide - Audi A3 or Ford Focus

MammaMia

Hi All,

wondering if anyone can advise. Looking at buying a car & have narrowed it down to an Audi A3 1.9Tdi Estate, 2008 with 80000 miles or a Ford Focus 1.5 diesel, 2009 with 28000 miles. Both have same price tag & road tax of €104 and no difference in insurance quotes, so basically am just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the mileage difference or experiance of either car that they can share please?

Mileage isn't everything, and tbh 80k. isn't particularly high. I'd rather a higher mileage well cared for car than a low mileage one that's been driven in the wrong gears.

I'd get the Audi well checked over first though - Audi parts prices are pretty steep. The Audi would likely be the better choice for resale value as well.

Thanks WicklowMan
My heart is saying get the A3, had an A4 years ago & it was without question the best car I ever drove - but my head was saying I should be sensible & go for lower mileage.

As long as there's a proper and complete service history with the Audi it should be a safe enough bet. It sounds like a vehicle that was probably owned by a sales rep., hence the mileage. I think the average is 12k. miles per year normally.

On the other hand it's likely seen a lot of Dual carriageway / Motorway driving, which is better for a car than the 'up and down to the shops' routine, as the car works best at operating temperature and this isn't achieved on local runs as the car doesn't really get a chance to warm up properly.

Yes, I think the Audi is an ex-fleet car & from personal experience fleet cars tend to be serviced when due...plus its a UK import so roads travelled will probably have been a better condition than Irish roads....will have to get more details from dealer!

stay away from fords-end of advise

I think you can get a bad deal with any make of car. I'm driving a Ford S Max the past two years & found it great if a bit hard on Diesel & my sister swears her Focus diesel is the best car she's ever driven.

worst experience of cars I ever had was Renault Megane!!

Ford Focus without doubt, to be practical. Also, Audi can be very expensive for parts and service.

MammiaMia

Be sure to have the car checked on WW.HPI.CO.UK - worth the few quid. Slim

VW's 1.9 tdi is an agricultural sounding engine. I don't think it is a common rail direct injection engine. The A3 does have a quality feel to the interior though. Its the 130hp unit right? I test drove an A4 before with the 90hp version of the 1.9 tdi. Dangerously underpowered car.

Back