Canon SLRs, American versions

BlueSpud

Is thare any reason not to buy the American version of the Canon 500D, the Rebel T1i. I understand that they are essentially the same camera but are there any differences other than the name? They seem to take the same storage (SD), the same battery (LP-E5) and the same lenses (EF-S). Apart from the remoteness etc, is there any other good reason not to get the rebel fom the USA, I have a sister over there and it is cheaper than here.

They are identical cameras (except that it says 'rebel' rather than 500D on the bottom left hand corner of the camera body). The only issue you may have is to do with the warranty and obviously with the plug on the battery charger. As far as I know, Canon don't offer worldwide warranties for their products. But the camera, the software, battery etc. will be the exact same.

From all accounts an excellent camera although I would not be particularly bothered with the HD video function.

Just as a matter of interest how much approx would that model cost in the states? I was hoping to check them out while on hols over there.

On amazon it is $800, about €570, with the standard 18-55mm lense.
Pixmania are doing it for €710
Dabs are doing it for €672

Rebel t1i from bh photo NY 799dollars works out at 545 euro so yes you do save.
The only thing is you may not be able to use the cashback which you can from dabs. I got 50cash back from them with my 450 so that brings their price down to 622.
Its still 80 euro of a difference. The only concern I would have is bringing it through customs. They are less likely to believe you bought and american model here if you get stopped.