Canon IXUS II camera problem

edadam

Hi,

I have a canon ixus ii digital camera. When I try to upload pictures to my pc via the usb cable it fails. Either the cable is faulty or the usb controller in the camera is faulty. This camera has been discontinued and I am reluctant to spend €50 in replacing the usb cable. Any suggestions ?

You can get a USB cable online for about a fiver - check out [broken link removed].

I think you can also get them in IT Direct on Parliament st.

Don't be suckered into buying an expensive gold "USB 2.0" cable - in fact the cable is the same for USB 1.1 and USB 2.0.

Have you tried bringing the camera into a Canon reseller to see if it works?

Does it use some special USB cable that it would cost €50 to replace!? Normal USB cables are a lot cheaper than that.

If USB connectivity is indeed broken on the camera then could you use an SD memory card instead and a card reader on the PC to transfer photos in that way?

MonsieurBond said:
Don't be suckered into buying an expensive gold "USB 2.0" cable - in fact the cable is the same for USB 1.1 and USB 2.0.

Whatever about "gold" cables are you sure about that? I thought that for USB 2.0 speeds you needed a USB 2.0 rated cable (and obviously a USB 2.0 hub/port and device) and a USB 1.1 cable would not do the job (i.e. it would limit things to USB 1.1 speeds)?

The canon usb cable for this camera is approx €50. I was not aware you could but a card reader as an alternative to the usb. How much would these cost and where would I get one ? I do plan to bring the camera into a canon reseller when I get a chance.

Thanks for the info.

Multi function card readers only cost around €20 these days. See [broken link removed] for example but shop around if this will solve your problems and you do choose to buy one.

USB 2.0 Cable Myth

I am using a USB 1.1 cable for my card reader which is USB 2 rated and am getting high speed.

Check out "The USB 2.0 Myth".

However, cheaper cables might not be as well shielded:

Mismatched Cabling
"There are two types of USB cables, high speed and low speed. Low-speed cables differ from high-speed cables primarily in their shielding. If you plug a high-speed device into a low-speed cable, you can cause signal distortion over long distances."
(From BuildOrBuy - USB)