Canon EOS 350D

BlueSpud

Canon EOS 350D v's Sigma SD10

I am contemplating getting this camera as a replacement for my old EOS 300 35mm camera. Any ideas where I can get the best value on this, i.e. the cheapest place to buy the camera. Also came accross a Sigma SD10, does this compare to the EOS350D?

Last edited:
seem to be pretty competitive. I bought a in [broken link removed] in the US last week for US$199 (plus c. 8.75% SF sales tax = €216) and it seems to be only a little more expensive on Pixmania once delivery (€13 I think) is included. [broken link removed]on the other hand charge €400 for the same camera!

Just remember that Pixmania may not supply an English manual

Re: Canon EOS 350D v's Sigma SD10

BlueSpud said:
Also came accross a Sigma SD10, does this compare to the EOS350D?
Compare features side-by-side (and read detailed reviews) [broken link removed]. The Canon is a much newer model — and I suspect far superior. The cheapest place to buy it is almost certainly in the US, if you know anyone coming 'home' for Christmas..? ;)

Do you really have to have a true SLR? Would not one of the several available 'SLR-like' models do the trick? (many with 10x or 12x optical zoom, equivalent to 37mm~420mm) I can personally recommend the Fujifilm Finepix S5000, which I bought about a year ago for $250.

Search dpreview by features, select 'SLR-like', min. focal length <38mm, max >360mm, and you'll get lots of alternatives:
Kodak Z740 Konica / Minolta DiMAGE Z2 / Fujifilm FinePix S5100 Zoom / Kodak DX6490 / Fujifilm FinePix S5200 Zoom / Kodak Z7590 / Kodak P850 / Fujifilm FinePix S5000 Z / Kodak DX7590 / Minolta DiMAGE Z1

Thats a good steer, doc. I kinda suspected that I was buying more than I needed. You can't beat a good recommendation.

The canon is available from http://www.technikdirekt.de
for 769 euro with the standard 18 -55 zoom lens. (not sure if this includes delivery of around 20euro). I purchased this camera from them a few months back and was happy with their service. They requested copies of passport and credit card by email before processing the order which delayed it a bit . They ship by DHL and the product has a european warranty( as opposed to purchasing in the states). You will need to factor in additional memory 1GB 81 euro and a couple of extra batteries (7dayshop.com are very reasonable). Althought the original battery seems to last forever. I think it really depends on what you can afford. The fact that you have used a SLR camera before would sway me to go for the 350D.

C2H5OH said:
The fact that you have used a SLR camera before would sway me to go for the 350D.
But factor in the extra cost (and inconvenience of lugging around) a 80-210mm zoom, and then — if you want/need a really long telephoto, what do you do? Stick a 2x teleconverter over all that expensive Canon glass..?

I still have my old Canon Eos 650 SLR, with standard, 28mm w/a and 70-210 zoom. The carry-bag weighs several pounds ...and hasn't been opened since I got the Finepix S5000.

[Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put anyone off the EOS 350D — it looks like a smashing piece of kit, and if I thought I'd get full use out of it, or that anyone looking at the results would appreciate the difference, I'd be hankering after one myself! :) But I just couldn't square the expenditure with my kind of 'snapping', nowadays. If I ever go back to earning money from it, then fine...

The S5000 'looks like' a real SLR (in fact it's by far the best-looking camera in that bracket, imho), offers lots of creative control, yet can also be used successfully by someone with no photographic expertise, and does 99.9% of what I want it to — from family snaps to sports photography to gigs to landscape to 'proper' portraiture, and at the higher quality settings (6Mp 'interpolated') it yields very acceptable enlargements up to 10" x 8" / 10" x 12". All for the price of a decent meal for two with a couple of bottles of wine...

Spending €1,000 on a camera won't 'improve your pictures', unless you're already a good photographer and know what do do with it!]

Doc, I have had a look at the FinePix on the web, and it looks more like my level. I am little more than a point & shoot merchant, but I wan a camera to take nice crisp photographs. I will go to a camera shop & get a look at it in the flesh. Thanks for thr info.

BlueSpud said:
I will go to a camera shop & get a look at it in the flesh. Thanks for thr info.
You're welcome! The 'laying-on-of-hands' before deciding is always a good idea...

I like the Finepix precisely because — once you load the four AA batteries into it, which probably nearly doubles its weight! — it has a nice 'heft' to it without being in the slightest bit heavy. When you're used to an SLR, holding a slim little cigarette-pack of a thing between thumbs and index fingers just feels odd to me.

P.S. Having had mine for a year now, I can also assure you that the rubberised black finish keeps its looks very well, and is probably more scuff-resistant than a lot of the 'brushed chrome'-look alternatives.

P.P.S. You may find you're offered its latest replacement, the — slightly higher megapixels, and a max. ISO 1600 setting — very useful for long-zoom handheld shots in low light (i.e. from October to March, in this country..!)

Just bought the Finepix S9500, works out about half the cash ( 700) needed to get a canon 350D with 28-200 (2 lenses). Will report later when I have used it a bit, comparing it to my old (faulty) canon eos300.

If you buy a 350D with a Mastercard you can get a cashback of €150 from Canon. The promotion is valid in UK and Ireland. Offer ends 31 Jan though.

[broken link removed]

Edit: Sorry, had to be purchased before 31st Dec 2005.

Back