Cannot obtain PUK code for mobile phone from Vodafone after moving to new provider

fieldfare

I recently moved to a different mobile phone provider after being a pay-as-you-go customer on the vodafone network for over 20 years. While they did provide me with the Network Unlocking Code, I am unable to get in contact with Vodafone to obtain my PUK. Is there any way I get my PUK from them?

I did, but that has been migrated to what is essentially an empty account with no records. Also, while the password remained the same, the account name changed from my mobile number to mangled a/c name 2020......

Why would you need your PUK when you have changed provider and I assume are using the SIM associated with that provider.
Your existing PUK should be written on your new providers SIM pack.
You old Vodafone SIM is deactivated.
Maybe its some other unlocking key, pertinent to the phone your are looking for, eg. simlock, network lock, carrier lock or (master) subsidy lock , but I doubt it's your PUK.

Personal Unblocking Key:
The PUK (Personal Unblocking Key) code is a code consisting of 8 digits. It is used to unblock your SIM card when you entered 3 times a wrong PIN code.

I entered the NUC code incorrectly 3 times when I inserted the SIM from the new provider in my phone and because of this I need the PUK. Just tried it again and I am presented with SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK. I tried the PUK for my new sim card, but get the message Network unlock request unsuccessful

If you inserted the new SIM, and entered the code incorrectly 3 times, then it's the PUK from your new provider. That (as mentioned above by @SparkRite ) should be on your new providers SIM pack.

That's what I thought, but I've entered the new PUK code that came with the new providers SIM card. Even got others to enter that number and error message as above

I entered the NUC code incorrectly 3 times

Usually it is up to at least 5 and more commonly 10 attempts before it looks for full network lock reset. Are you sure you only tried 3 times?
The term PUK is extremely misleading here as there is nothing 'personal' about it. This code is encrypted and hard written into the phone.

Just to prove EXACTLY what we are talking about here can you try a known working SIM in the phone and see what happens?

What model phone is it, please?

Good idea!
  • I tried a working Vodafone SIM card and it worked fine allowing me to make calls
  • I tried a working EIR SIM card and same problem as with my new providers SIM. I am presented with SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK and having entered that card's PUK, received the message Network unlock request unsuccessful
I noticed that my phone has notification that states Invalid SIM card. Network locked SIM inserted

Forget about entering the SIM card PUK when asked for network unlock code !! You will use up all your allowed attempts.

How many digits are in the unlock code vodafone gave you?

I am presented with SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK
Are you sure it's not asking for:- Sim network unlock pin ?? ie. not PUK

How to enter a network unlock code in a Samsung Galaxy J5

Entering the unlock code in a Samsung Galaxy J5 is very simple.
1. Start the Samsung Galaxy J5 with an unaccepted simcard (unaccepted means different than the one in which the device works)
2. Special unock window should appear
- For message Sim network unlock pin you should enter the codes if the following order, Unfreeze confirm, NCK confirm (please try a couple of times if the Galaxy J5 does not accept it for the first time)
There is also a special RGCK (regional lock code) code sometimes provided. Please use the RGCK code the same way as the NCK code.
- If Service provider pin appears enter the codes in this order
Unfreeze confirm, SPCK confirm (try a couple of times)
3. Samsung Galaxy J5 is now network unlocked !!!

There are 8 digits. Here is the message I received from Vodafone

The Network Unlocking Code you requested is ******** for the IMEI: ........ for Mobile number: 087*******

Note: Please insert non Vodafone SIM card in your mobile when you unlock it

If the incorrect Vodafone Network Assignment Code is entered more than 3 times, the phone becomes blocked and the PUK is required to re-activate it.

1. Ensure the phone contains a non-Vodafone SIM card.
2. Power on the phone.
3. A pop up message asking to input the NAC will appear.
4. Input the NAC.

Ok, try this, just so we know that we are all on the same page, so to speak.

With the EIR sim make sure there is no security PIN set up, do this from within the security settings on whatever phone it is working in.

Then try this unprotected SIM on your Samsung and tell me EXACTLY what is on screen.
DO NOT ENTER ANY CODES.

BTW, you should have got NCK and a MCK (freeze) from Vodafone.

Last edited:
Tried that and the same message SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK

Didn't get any MCK code

Ok you need that code as you have exceeded the amount of NCK attempts allowed.

At this stage I would google and find the cheapest reliable code provider out there.
There are loads of them, and most would be cheaper than bringing it to your nearest Chinaman,
for a 'hard' unlock.

That is what I would, and indeed have done, as chasing Vodafone will do 'your head in', with the hassle and time involved.

Thanks SparkRite. Makes sense. Should have left Vodafone a long time ago!

I'll leave it at that for the moment and will post if I get it unlocked

Last edited:
Might be worth just giving up on the phone as well if it's a few years old. Just invest in a new unlocked one.

Update:

Good news. Did some checking based on reviews and payment methods and went with unlock.ie. Got quick response and working codes. Phone now unlocked and working on new providers network. The Enter SIM network PUK required the MCK (unfreeze) code, which I couldn't get from Vodafone.

In hindsight, I should have sought codes BEFORE leaving current provider, though who knows if they will give them out in that case

Back