Candidates, where were you all my life?

micmclo

One of our local councillors sends around questionaires every few months so you can write back with your issues, even small stuff for your estate.
And you'll get a reply and a copy of a letter, the local garda station for my issue.
And a followup phonecall asking was it sorted.
This guy got my vote, even if it's for a party I'd never support in a general election. We get newsletters on local news too!
It doesn't take much to buy my vote :)

I know councillors hold clinics, but I'm not inclined to go the local hall and queue up.
And I know a lot of people were first time candidates and so they couldn't do much for me before.

Like most of you, I got my letterbox stuffed of material from candidates I don't know and will never hear from again until next election time.

Do you expect your local rep to contact you and not the other way around? Would you expect letters every two months on updates and asking for your input?
Or would be happy to a local councillor who seems to do a lot but never goes near your house only ever five years.

Just seems to me that some candidates are a lot cleverer at connecting with the voters then some who you never, ever see unless they want your vote

The SF electoral machine is very well run IMO.

Whatever you think of them, they seem to work harder than any other party at the run up to elections. We live in a remote area and the only canvassers we ever get are SF.

Would you expect letters every two months on updates and asking for your input?
Have you any idea of the cost of this? This would cost each councillor about €500-€1,000 to print a letter for every household every few months, and about the same again to get them delivered. Sounds like a bit of an unrealistic expectation to me.

Back