Cancelling contract with Vodafone

Goldman

I have had a bill contract mobile with vodafone for a number of years. I recently recieved a mobile upgrade. I am moving to England for 6 months and my plan was to cancel/stall my contract(including monthly fees) for the period that I was away. I contacted vodafone but was told that i had only two options(both of which involved paying them money).the first of these,was to cancel the contract and pay €19 per month that was left on the contract as a penalty.the second option was to reduce my payment to the lowest tariff while i was away -also €19 a month. I was just wondering does anyone know of a loophole which will allow me to get away without paying this due to the fact i am moving abroad?

Once you upgrade, you sign a fresh contract with your service provider for 12 months. You received the upgraded phone at a discounted price as a result of you promising to stay with them for another 12 months. I don't know of any loophole I'm afraid in order to get out of it.

Ribena is correct. You signed a new contract by getting the upgrade. They are trying to recoup the cost of the phone they gave you, I assume..

I guessed the same.However i was wondering if a contract could be cancelled due to immigrating?Also the phone wasn't a high end phone, and could be purchased for <€70(sim free).Surely they've covered themselves already.

Bear in mind that if you break a contract without paying the penalty clause and intend to return to Ireland, it may cause you difficulties in the future (when trying to get a phone from Vodafone).

I don't think you have a choice-the 12 month contract imposed obligations on you in return for the subsidised phone.

Where can you purchase a new phone for less than €70 SIM free?

Since Vf have just abolished UK roaming charges, would you not be better to hold onto it until the contract is up ? So presumably you can ring home & people can ring you at domestic rates. You need to send SUBROAM to 50020 to subscribe to this.

AFAIK vodafone have only cancelled roaming charges on business accounts-I'd visit thier website (vodafone.ie) to be sure

daithi

But only on pay monthly (which isn't an issue here). But could give a fright to some people travelling on pay as you go.

From what i can see it's valid for Ready to go customers aswell-but they have to pay a connection fee of 29c per call.

Goldman said:
From what i can see it's valid for Ready to go customers aswell-but they have to pay a connection fee of 29c per call.

That was already in existance before they dropped the roaming charges. You were charged your normal rates on Vodafone Passport after a "connection charge".

Basically the big hoo-haa from Vodafone now is regarding them dropping the connection charge for pay monthly customers, and only reducing the cost for pay as you go.

Finally, the experience of competition from mobile providers.

1. O2 drop roaming charges for business customers.
2. VF ups the ante by dropping for business and pay monthly customers.
3. Not getting much coverage, 3 drops roaming for their customers, and allows roaming calls to make up up to half their monthly minutes allocation as well.

Funny how we don't hear any politicians or comreg or consumer organisations taking the credit for all this. All down to EU in my opinion.