Cancelling Aer Lingus flight

Radar

I flew from Belfast to Heathrow with Aer Lingus last Wednesday and was due to return last Saturday. On the Friday evening, I received a text from Aer Lingus, cancelling Saturday's flight and offering the usual rebook/refund options. I rebooked for Sunday and extended my hotel stay by another night. Of course, I got another text on Saturday, cancelling Sunday's flight and offering the same options. As the volcano ash situation was worsening, on Sunday I ended up travelling by train from Euston to Holyhead, ferry to Dublin, overnight in Dublin, train to Belfast next morning and bus to Belfast International.

I know my insurance company is wriggling out of all the extra expense involved in alternate travel expenses but am I right in thinking that at least Aer Lingus should reimburse me for the extra night I stayed in London as their system allowed me rebook the flight for the following day, which was also cancelled? Also, is it safe for me to apply online for a refund for the unused return flight or would this jeopardize any claim I would have against them?

Thanks and apologies for the long-winded post!

Sorry, Radar, airline is only responsible for flight costs in this instance. Widely publicised that extra costs such as hotels, meals, car hire etc. are not covered, neither are they covered by travel insurance as far as I know.

According to EU rules you are entitled to your hotel accommodation to be paid for while awaiting your cancelled flight. In your case that is 1 night as EI are not responsible for your decision
to make your way home across the sea.
You will need to send them a copy of the receipt for the hotel plus your change of booking.
I have a feeling all airlines are going to scream blue murder about paying out as this will cost them many millions. The spokesperson from the EU has been on the Radio and TV saying they have to and that is the way it stands.
Cant wait to hear Mickey O' Leary bleating on about this

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, Radar, airline is only responsible for flight costs in this instance. Widely publicised that extra costs such as hotels, meals, car hire etc. are not covered, neither are they covered by travel insurance as far as I know.

Not true. First nights accommodation due to first cancelled flight should be claimed.

Just in case I've missed previous posts - does anyone have/direct me to the best site for information on what travellers are entitled to & also what is covered by insurance i.e. hotels booked etc. Also any ideas on what is covered when hotels etc. covered thru using your credit card? The companies are NOT helpful.
Thanks

Thanks for your comments, folks. I'll have a go at claiming the single extra night. Do you think it's OK for me to go ahead with fare refund application?

The Insurance companies appear to be able to get away with paying zero as this is an act of God If you have booked your hotel through some of the agency's such as hotels.com Venere etc you will get the cost back if you cancel the hotel 24hrs in advance, after that you get charged the 1st night. This is in your terms and conditions with your hotel and not the credit card company

Thanks for your comments, folks. I'll have a go at claiming the single extra night. Do you think it's OK for me to go ahead with fare refund application?
Can't see why not