Canceling a recurring credit card transaction

nconroy

Some background first.

My wife signed up to a trial sample of an anti wrinkle cream, without reading the Ts&Cs. Result was that she had contracted to buy the sample if not returned within 28 days and also signed up for a rolling contract for a bottle of the stuff every month.

Cost, €6.88 for trial (postage), €124.36 for payment on trial bottle, then first month of rolling contract, €136.89. Bottle size same as a bottle of Danole yogurt

As soon as I saw the transactions on the credit card statement, I canceled the subscription with the skin cream company and then contacted Visa to make sure no more transactions were processed.

Visa informed me that I must formally cancel the contract with the skin cream company and proof of cancelation will allow them reject a transaction, but that changing the credit number or reporting the card stolen would not be enough to prevent this kind of "Recurring Transaction" being processed against my visa account.

When I pointed out my Sky, O2, Airtricty etc are all recurring transactions and that I have to contact visa whenever my card is renewed, he replied that if they "Batched" the transactions they could charge my visa account without the new pin.

So, anyone out there who cab cast some light as to how the visa Ts&Cs allow third parties enforce payment against the wishes of the account owner?

An agreement was made with the company involved. Your wife's not reading the T&C's is not the card issuing company's responsibility.

The card is merely an instrument, and while a valid agreement exists between the company and the cardholder, they are obliged to continue paying it.

AFAIK there are old postings on this. You merely ring up the company and cancel the recurring payments and then ring back the CC company. Plenty of articles on the web re this company!

Back