cancel deposit cheque

C

CancellingCh

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum so please move if not. I'm wondering are you allowed cancel an uncashed cheque postdated 4 months from now that was a wedding deposit on a venue if you have the cheque number?

Don't want to go into reasons here but the wedding has been cancelled, at least for the moment.

thanks

Can't you just contact the venue and advise them that there is a problem and you can't take the date? You can cancel a cheque with your bank, send them a letter or fax with the cheque number, amount, beneficiary and of course your account number. I think the cancellation request will only last 6 months though. Good form would be to contact the venue, they may have enquiries for that date.

Contacting the venue would be of course something I planned to do, however if the wedding is cancelled there is no way if the wedding were to finally go ahead that the same venue could be used as it is abroad and guests could not be asked to pay flights etc again. I'd like to be able to use the deposit to at least offset some of the loss of guests.
The venue I know is very popular especially at this date so I think they should have no problem re-booking. Feel awful about cancelling in the first place but at the moment it looks like there is no alternative.

Back