Canaries winter break recommendations

cara mc k

i am looking to go to the canaries for winter sun end Nov, have been to Costa Teguise, Lanzarote, was ok. Can anyone recommend anywhere not too lively but enough nice restaurants, location and not too tacky.

Many thanks
Cara Mc K

Re: Canarries winter break recommendations

Go to Morocco instead. Same climate (in south) and much higher quality.

We went for Xmas last year . Fantastic 4 * hotel. great weather. We went with Sunway.

Hi

Have you been to Puerto Del Carmen in Lanzarote ? - we loved it.
Full of Irish though - is that good or bad ??
Get somewhere to stay in the old town - lots of lovely restaurants.
We have also been to Puerto Rica in Gran Canaria but we wouldn't go back !

Morocco sounds lovely !!

I have been to both Morocco and the Canaries and would prefer the Canaries.
Morocco, I stayed in Agadair the hotel and service was first class the local restaurants were very good but when I moved away from the hotel the people were begging and seemed very poor. I gave money to the children the first day and had swarms of them waiting every day when I left the hotel. I had no problem with giving them money but felt very guilty going out to eat in a restaurant when mothers with babies were sleeping under trees in the park.

Canneries, have been to Tenerife, Lanzarote, and Gran Canaria but found the best place for relaxing holiday is a place called Sonnenland, away from the mad pace of Playa del Ingles. There are nice restaurants and you are just a short taxi ride from all the action.

Gran Canaria tends to get the most sunshine (winter time) of the canary islands. If you keep out of Playa des Inglis, and even a 2 euro taxi trip down the road in Maspalomas, great beach, quite and peaceful and plenty of restuarants and small bars.Great promanade for walking too, extends 5 miles from maspalomas along the seafront past Playa des Inglis.

Try puerto de la cruz in the north of tenerife.
Lovely town, which attracts usually older tourists.
Beautiful long promenade, plenty of pubs and restaurants.
Its got a pool s ,lounging complex_outdoors
The beach is not great.
Nearby is the parrot park and an aquarium with penguins etc_well worth seeing.
Its also a greener part of the island, and there are plenty of bus tours,but don t buy the mattresses and woolen items unless you re loaded.
Shouldn t be a problem with getting accomadation if you decide to get a flight only.
Its about an hours drive from the southern airport.
forget lanzarote_too windy esp. in winter.
enjoy

There are some good deals at the Fortina Spa in Malta. We were there last year in December and, if we've any money left after a new bathroom and double glazing our windows, we'll be there this year.

There are some good deals at the Fortina Spa in Malta. We were there last year in December and, if we've any money left after a new bathroom and double glazing our windows, we'll be there this year.

Billk,
did you use a web site to book? I checked out the ones on the key site but they do not seem to cover Malta in Dec.

Hi Maggie,

Check www.hotelfortina.com which is the website belonging to the hotel.

Another way is to check the press for adverts by an outfit called Mercury Direct who offer holidays all over the place including the Fortina.

I live in England so I know they advertise in the English press but don't know about Irish press, but I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Just back from Matagorda on the edge Puerto Del Carmen. Booked villa canima with Budget travel, about 350 each. The apartment block is quiet, about 400m from the sea and the commercial centre, which has the usual irish and international bars, restaurants, shops etc., about 20 outlets in total. The beach is a bit quieter here and there is plenty of space. the apartments were basic and cleaned about every 2 days. I spoke to somebody who stayed in a different apartment block and they were only cleaned once in the week. It is only 10 minutes to the airport so no long bus ride on arrival.

Puerto Del Carmen is a good walk, about 2.5-3 miles or you can get a taxi in. This is much livelier with a strip about a mile long of all the usual stuff, pubs, clubs, shops and restaurants.

Maggie B,

Try www.mercurydirect.com for Malta and more.

You should note that booking direct with the Fortina seems to give you a better deal in terms of access to the a la carte restaurants.