Can you still lodge 3rd Party Cheques

Lan

A family member is sick in hospital and receives their Social Welfare by cheque. We can't lodge it to their bank account as they don't remember their pin for it and we need the money to pay their rent etc.
Do you know if I could lodge them into my account if they sign the back?

Yes once they sign the back it can be lodged to your account (or anybody else's).

A family member is sick in hospital and receives their Social Welfare by cheque. We can't lodge it to their bank account as they don't remember their pin for it and we need the money to pay their rent etc.

Providing the cheque is not crossed "a/c payee only" then you should be able to. However if it is crossed then, depending on the bank, they should let you lodge it by completing a lodgement slip in the branch

You don't need a PIN to do a lodgement. Just stick the cheque with a completed lodgement form into the post or bank letterbox, and they will process the lodgement on the next working day.

DOH - just realised the PIN was to get the money back out again!

If you explain to the person in the bank they will probably let you lodge it.

The problem is when a cheque is crossed and the bank lets a third party cash it, the bank is responsible if anything goes wrong. Some tellers will be more strict than others.

Back