Can you revalue your house if not compliant with planning?

chughesie

Hi,
My better half and I are looking at purchasing her parent’s house and then completing some retrofit renovations and a small extension (10 sq. m.) paid through savings. Technically we do need planning for the extension as there has been an extension before on the house. However, we are considering going on without obtaining PP as it’s very rural with only family for neighbours.

Our plan is to get the house revalued upon completion with the hope of putting us into a lower LTV rate, or remortgaging completely with a different lender with a LTV of 70% or less.

My question is whether a bank would offer a mortgage on a house that isn’t technically compliant with planning, and therefore rule us out of potentially remortgaging/revaluing?

Thanks

"However, we are considering going on without obtaining PP as it’s very rural with only family for neighbours. "

Planning rules apply to everybody. When you go to sell, and , believe me, you will, this will bite you back big time.

And before that

Beware of enforcement and the potential consequences of having to pull the unauthorised development down.

It happens - notwithstanding some people's happy go lucky approach to legals.

When you go to re-value/ re-mortgage, there will be a BIG RED FLAG in the valuers report on the extension......................

"My question is whether a bank would offer a mortgage on a house that isn’t technically compliant with planning, and therefore rule us out of potentially remortgaging/revaluing? "

Forget the word technically - that's a nonsense. It won't be compliant. End of.

Either do it right or play fast and loose with the rules.

Your choice.

mf

So, shall I take that as a no-a bank would not offer a mortgage on a house that isn't technically compliant with planning...or shall I take it that the bank could still offer a mortgage despite the BIG RED FLAG?

Back