can you put me on right road????

johnny

hi all, im thinking about consolidating some personals laons ive got( ive posteed this query b4, but i have more info now
My loans are as follows:..Bank €10200..(pm..€254)
..................................CU €14900..(.pm €300
..................................cc €1392...(pm.min pay)

Apr on the bank loan is 8.2%...Credit card is 13.9%...Now the credit union( they tell me its 12.68%)..but because the give me an interest rebate(of 23%)..the say that the "real" apr is 8.5%?????..Would this be right ?????
i have €3300 in shares which im told im getting 2% on..
my queries are these:..Would i (a) be better of getting a pl from someone like tesco ( apr 7.9% i believe fixed) to clear the whole lot???..or the fact that its fixed would i be penalised in some way???..( B) get aa PL to clear the CU loan off thus releasing my shares??..and if i did what would be the best way to use tthe shares??...i also have an ssia due for maturing in jan 2007 which will amount to €10000...would i be beeter off waiting for that to mature and using the procceds to pay off what loans ive left at the time???
Agaiin guys thanks for viewing..and by the way i find the site fantastic..keep up the good work!!!

First some background;

This may be stating the obvious, but you need to address the root cause of running up such substantial debts by reducing your outgoings and/or increasing your incomings.

Also, note that historically, your decision to fund your SSIA while carrying debt like this has cost you money, as you've been paying more interest on your debts that you've been earning on your SSIA. Ironically, as you come towards the end of your SSIA, this situation reverses, and you are probably right to continue to fund the SSIA now (depending on when it matures and what interest you're earning on it). So your approach of waiting for it to mature and clearing half your outstanding loan probably makes sense.

In general, I wouldn't get hung up on the different APR's on your loan - 8.2% to 8.5% to 7.9% won't make a substantial difference to you. I'd recomment that you concentrate on getting the credit card debt cleared asap, and ensure that it doesn't climb back up. Clear your bill in full each month.

I'm assuming you don't have a property/mortgage which would allow you to borrow at much lower mortgage rates? If this is the case, I don't see that loan consolidation is going to do much for you. Concentrate on reducing the overall level of debt. If you do consolidate, make sure you take out a flexible loan with no penalties for early repayment.

Back