Can you open a dual current account with someone who has a bad credit rating

Cashstrapped

As above, I am trying to help out a family member who due to bad credit rating is finding it impossible to open a current account in order to get his salary paid in to. He has tried himself to open a new current account as his current bank will no longer honour any standing orders due to him having quiet a large overdraft circa 10k on it but has so far being refused.

He has worked with MABS and they have suggested he setup a new account, no overdraft facility etc. and automate all of his payments due for mortgage, bank loans and chipping away at his overdraft, thus keeping his head just above water by keeping money out of his hand. He has found himself in this position due to overspending but mainly down to increased mortgage payments over the last year.

So my question is if I were to open a joint account with him to allow his salary to get paid in (has to be paid to a bank account), will we still come up against the same problem i.e because of his bad credit rating will they refuse us and of course by my name being on this account and his bad credit rating will I find myself being rejected any future loans due to being named on the account. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Try postbank. They don't care at all about credit ratings. They are ideal for someone in the situation your family member is.

Agreed. Postbank has an everyday account which is a current account. You get an atm card which is also a debit card and you can use it to make purchases. You can set up direct debits. There is an overdraft facility on it of 250 euros and you can apply for a higher amount if you want though in the case of your family member they would probably be better to operate this account without overdraft. www.postbank.ie.

No connection with this bank.

Hi, thanks very much for the replies, we had not considered Postbank at all. I have contacted him this morning so he is going to head in and see if it is as straight forward as it seems, it would be ideal for him in his current situation, thank you.