Can You Only Open A Bank Account In A Branch Where You Live?

Wishes

I tried to open a current account with one of our two banks yesterday to be asked did I live in the area? I said no; their answer was we can only open one for you if you live or work in the area. Is this correct?

Never heard this before. I have had accounts opened in all sorts of different areas which were simply put as my local branch because that's where I opened the account. I presume you are from the same locality or work in that area ?

Hi Elcato, no I don't work or live in the area were I wanted to open the account. I thought it was a simple case of bringing ID and supporting documentation and the account would be opened. I wanted to open the account with this particular branch because it was on the same route to were I work.

Rubbish - I have two BOI accounts, one where I live and one near where I work. I couldn't get to my branch during working hours as it's in the suburbs.

Hi amtc, thanks for that. I had a feeling I was being fobbed off. I think a telephone call to the manager is in order.

For what it's worth, I've encountered the same questioning while trying to open an account. The first questions asked were what do you want the account for, do you work in the locality etc. If I hadn't lived or work there they would not have opened the account. Maybe this is a new rule or something??

That is really weird. I have an account in the Dublin suburb where the family home is, and another one opened in their O'Connell St branch. When I opened the one in town, no one queried if I lived or worked there.

Likewise. I've accounts in my local area and in the city. Never encountered a query. Sounds odd, but maybe it is to do with cutbacks and downsizing.

You could always be economical with the truth and say that yes you do work in the area. The odds of them asking you to prove it are slim to none, Even if they did, how are you supposed to do that? What are they going to do, call your boss to prove it? Even if for hypothetical reasons, you DID work in the area, odds are your pay check will not have an address printed on it, that matches the area.

Or just take a different view of what they mean by working " in the locality". You live and work in Dublin, the account will be opened in Dublin. Who cares a thrupenny bit if you live in Howth, you work in Blackrock, but you want to open the account in Donnybrook, as that is what works best for you? Dublin is Dublin !

It sounds like the sort of thing that happens in small town Ireland.

There is nothing to stop you from opening an account in any branch.

Back