Can you get glasses perscription filled online?

Toby

Just wondering if anyone has ever had their glasses perscription filled online? Am reluctant to pay the amount charged by the shops here.

Any reason not to get it done online?

Thanks

None that stopped me ordering from goggles4u.com.

The pair I'm wearing right now cost me €12 and so did the matching sunglasses.

Delivery takes 2-3 weeks, but other than that I've no complaint.

Yes, if you pay to have your eyes tested they should give you a copy of the prescription, although many will not venture this, and instead tell you they'll just "keep it on file". Ask the optometrist also to note down your pupillary distance, as they often leave that measurement out — it's not part of your prescribed ocular correction, but you need to know it to choose a suitable pair of glasses.

None that stopped me ordering from goggles4u.com.

The pair I'm wearing right now cost me €12 and so did the matching sunglasses.

Delivery takes 2-3 weeks, but other than that I've no complaint.

No problems with the frame fit DrMoriarty? That's what I would be afraid of, the lenses would be fine, but the frames might not fit well.

No problems with the frame fit DrMoriarty? That's what I would be afraid of, the lenses would be fine, but the frames might not fit well.
No, maybe I got lucky or have a very regular-shaped head — admittedly, I physically measured up my old frames and checked those against the new ones I was ordering. The goggles4u site gives precise size in mm, and if you upload a picture of yourself there's even a sort of a virtual "try them on" feature. One measurement to watch out for is the length of the arms — you want the tips of them to wrap around your ears without being too tight or too loose.

Yes, if you pay to have your eyes tested they should give you a copy of the prescription, although many will not venture this, and instead tell you they'll just "keep it on file".

If you pay for a service I would have thought that you own the results of that service?

The optician would argue that the price of your eye test is predicated on the assumption that you'll subsequently buy the glasses in their store, which is where they make their profit. For example, Specsavers are currently offering half-price eye tests, which is clearly a loss leader for them. How much of a GP's time would you get for €15, for example?

Come to think of it, I may even go for a checkup myself, at that rate - it's been about 18 months since my last one.