Can you do a trip from Taormina, Sicily to Sardinia or Pompeill?

Abbica

Hi, Heading to Taormina in the first week of May and we were wondering are there trips via boat to these places and if so, any idea of the costs involved. I have no idea of the distance or length of time it would take, so excuse my ignorance with this question. I know they do trips to Malta. Is Malta a good trip for the day if you can't do the above? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sardinia and Pompeii are a long way from Taormina so you wouldn't be getting there and back in a day without a flight being involved .. so I doubt anyone organises such day trips

Even Malta would be a pretty lengthy day trip ... I'd have thought there shoudl be plenty to do on Siciliy without any need to go on super long distance day trips :)

Hi, thanks for that, at least that eliminates that option. Just my friend hasn't really travelled so i thought they would be nice options, she is mad to go to sardinia but will have to go another time I suppose.
We won't be hiring a car as we haven't got the nerve so we are just trying to see what excursions we could do for a day, along side doing Mount Etna etc. Do you know if there are any good trips for the day from Taormina? We are just trying to sort out our options before we go as preparation is key to fitting as much in as possible.

We were in Sicily last summer and had a superb holiday. As the previous poster said, Sardinia, Pompeii and Malta are a bit too far to go if you're based in Taormina.

I would recommend heading south towards Siracusa (should be plenty of bus tours offering day trips in Taormina), well worth the visit (especially Ortigia, the old town). If you can stay overnight, then the Valley of the Temples along the south coast near Agrigento is also worth seeing.

But Etna is very accessible from Taormina and is a great day trip by bus. If you're fit, you can spend half the day trudging up and down the lava cones. A cable car can take you to the summit from La Sapienza (expensive though), very cold at the top. The recent eruptions at Etna could make things interesting. Try and organise a trip to a local vineyard, plenty of those around the slopes of Etna.

You're probably wise in not hiring a car if you're not a very confident driver, the Sicilians are insane as regards their driving behavior.

When I spent a season as a holiday rep in Taormina the top three enjoyable excursions were
-Etna , Syracuse, and the Aeolian isles.
there is a local train going up and down the coast at the Taormina station on the coast -easy for trip into Catania for half day shopping etc. Messina also, though never was enthralled by it.

Thank you very much for all the suggestions, they all sound great with the train and all, great they do wine tours also near ethna, I thought that was only on the west side so that to me is the best news of all!!! Thanks again, can't wait.

Back