Can you be pulled over by gardai on private property?

V

vbarry

I was recently driving when the gardai requested me to pull over. There was a hotel beside me so i pulled into the car park, i have now received a fixed charge offence for holding a mobile phone previous to being pulled over. Have i any rights seeing as i was on private ground when i was informed of the offence. Curiously yours.

The hotel car park is a public place in terms of the Road Traffic Act. You were being fined for an offence on a public road also I assume, so I suggest you pay the fine.

How does where u you were told of the crime got to do with anything? by your own admission you urself pulled into the hotel car park? if you committed the crime pay the fine ..if u did'nt fight it...

If you really want to pursue this line then get professional advice from a solicitor. It'd probably be simpler and more cost effective all round to just pay the penalty since you are not disputing the offence per se.

you were caught on public road, does not matter where they tell you...
if you were caught on a speed camera, you are told by post

As another poster said, you don't seem to be disputing the offence so it's best to pay it and be shot of it.

Come on, give him a break. It must be worth a shot, anyone know if he has a case. Would be a little anecdote to trot out at a dinner party during an akward pause

Not a solicitor but....

High court declared, long ago, that any place into which the public are permitted access is a public place. (I think the case involved a RTA (YTA??) in which a car collided with a parked car in a gated co-op yard. The gates were kept permanently open, so the court decided that the area was public.

WRT using a mobile while driving...duh! Pay the fine and think yourself lucky that you are getting away lightly. If you had been in even the slightest tip, or caused one while using one, you would have been over a barrel.....and as the O'reilly case showed...big brother knows when you're on, so denial is futile.

....get a hands free or pull in......after all there was a hotel car park convenient to you!!!