6. Have someone open the door to the outside and ensure
that there are no people between the toilet and the
outside door.​

7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and
quickly lift both lids.​

8. The now-clean cat will rocket out of the toilet, and
run outside where he will dry himself.

Sincerely, The DOG​

A cat I had some years ago went walkabout at night and caused a table of brushes and paint equipment to fall - as well as herself - and after the crash, I found her sprawled on the floor in a puddle of white spirit.

She was a longhair cat and I had an immediate vision of her dying in horrible pain through poisoning should she make any attempt to lick the affected fur. So I scooped her up immediately and whisked her to the bathroom, turned on the shower and promptly stuck her under it.

I was lucky not to lose an eye as the claws went out and she ran up my arm over the shoulder and down my back... the scratches were so deep they dripped blood...

Fortunately she also got a good soaking and this rinsed enough of the spirit from her fur to make it safe. She lost that distinctive smell very quickly. This could not be said for the place where the decorating stuff fell, which was wrecked. I has to staunch the flow of blood and start to clean that up at 2am.

Actually we dunked our cat in a bucket of water in 1995 when the fleas were very bad, we chose this over putting chemicals on her. We put her in a skinny enough bucket which helped in the restraining, and ensured the water was warm. We didn't come out too badly actually but there were two of us. The fleas thankfully all abandoned cat via her nose, so we did have to put her under (briefly), it did a great job on the fleas. Anyway if you have to, skinny bucket is probably better as it limits the paw movements, we towel dried her and gave her a tin of tuna after, and we did have to do it one more time and she wasn't too bad.

As long as you start at a fairly young age, you can generally persuade your cats that being washed is not too terrible. We had two rescue kittens that were desperately in need of washing when we got them. They yowled a bit with the first bath, but after a few times, they decided it wasn't too unpleasant.