Can Wireless Router Reset buttons die?

hansov

Odd title I know! Have a D-Link Airplus Extreme DI-624+ wireless modem. Young hansov wants (now read wanted ) to wirelessly connect with his DS Lite. Dad goes messing with settings as his gadget cannot connect. Result Dad has to reset the modem (as all connectivity has died) and can't as the reset button doesn't seem to respond. Anbody any ideas before mrs. hansov finds out...................?

I suppose they can die. On my DI-524 the button resets on a single push and does a factory reset on being held in for a few seconds. I presume the DI-624+ is similar? Are you trying to do the former or the latter? If the former then surely powering off and on does the trick?

I was trying to do a full factory reset, ie hold for a few seconds but nothing happens. I can't communicate with it which is why I was doing a hard reset. Yikes!

So whatever changes you made are messing things up so that the only way out seems to be a factory reset? Could you open the box up and check if the reset switch is displaced or otherwise damaged? Only do this if the device is no longer under warranty, is isolated from the mains and you are confident that you can manage this DIY job.

You may need to unplug the router for a bit. Sometimes these reset buttons use an interrupt signal to the processor to affect the reset, but if the modem has crashed, it won't respond to the signal.

Worth a try before opening it.

you can tftp to most routers at the generic address before they have fully booted, you proably have less than a second to get the tftp command in but you can rescue many routers this way.

you can tftp to most routers at the generic address before they have fully booted, you proably have less than a second to get the tftp command in but you can rescue many routers this way.
Hey paddyp can you explain what tftp is? I usually contact the router at http://192.168.0.1

Thanks Clubman for explaining thw 'what' tftp is - now I need to know what paddyp does to tftp a router before I take the screwdriver to the offending little piece of technological piece of hardware that I am trying to understand, or should I say that I need (it) to understand me.

Hi Hansov,
I am having the same problem with my d-link router.
Did you manage to resolve it or did you have to resort to opening it up?

Eefy: Didn't do anything with it yet. Operating on a loaner Linksys at the moment. Will try and have a look this weekend but the way the agenda for this weekend is shaping up, it could be next week!!!