Can surviving spouse inherit part of UK State pension

aamstudent

Hi,
if someone receiving the UK state pension dies, does a surviving spouse receive any part of the UK pension of the deceased?
TIA

Not for anyone who started receiving a pension after 2016.

That’s the only risk with voluntary NICs in that your contributions die with you.

You can manage this somewhat with life insurance to UK retirement age.

Last edited:
Hi Dr

Can you elaborate a bit on this?

I took OPs message to mean if recipient dies during pension years but your response seems to be if prospective recipient dies before pension age?

Depending on when the spouse receiving UK state pension was earning in UK, there may be some extra added to the pension of the surviving spouse, if they are also receiving a partial UK state pension, but I don't know for sure if surviving spouse would qualify for some payment based on spouse's earnings if not already in receipt of a UK pension.
I received a small boost of £13 a week based on my husband's earnings from 1978 to 1997.

It seems that these rules changed for anyone reaching pension age after 6 April 2016.

For anyone after that, I don’t think there is the possibility to inherit a partial UK state pension. But I am open to correction.

This is what I am seeing on UK Pension website.
This part is for someone who married before 2016 and reached pension age after 2016.
I don't know what exactly it means.

Inheriting a protected payment

You’ll inherit half of your partner’s protected payment if your marriage or civil partnership with them began before 6 April 2016 and:
  • they reached State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016
  • they died on or after 6 April 2016
It will be paid with your State Pension.

I found that a protected payment is one that is linked to the CPI. But I am not sure who that applies to.
Its not clear if its will be paid if the survivor doesn't already have a State Pension.

I thought that Class 3 contributions entitled the spouse to some bereavement benefits.

"You can pay voluntary Class 3 NICs to protect your right to State Pension and, if you are married or in a civil partnership, your spouse's or surviving civil partner's right to bereavement benefits. Although these benefits are payable anywhere abroad, they are not normally increased when pension rates go up in the UK."

That’s the only risk with voluntary NICs in that your contributions die with you.
Maybe that is why on the surface it is such a good deal but if you die early or before pension age all your contributions go back into system. I suppose there has to be some small downsides. However if you die early you are probably not going to spend all the money you would have put into this anyways

she may qualify for a Widow and Widowers pension at that point, depending on your history

My widowed friend has a partial Uk pension. She never worked in the UK.
Her husband, born in the UK worked in the late 50s and early 60s before coming to Ireland and died in 2014 had a partial UK pension.
She also has a full Irish widows pension