Can puppy pee make a lawn patchy ?

R

r2d2

Hi all,

I have a new lawn, rolled out turf with very well prepared soil beforehand...
I also have a new puppy and am wondering if her pee could have made the grass die in certain places.....The patches seem to be in the same general area where she likes to go !? If this is the case I may have unwittingly alerted all AAM users as to a new liquid weeding product !!!

r2d2

Yes it more than likely is the puppy causing the gras to die in spots.
As a puppy tends to squat when peeing (male and female), the pee is concentrated on one spot at a time, burning that area.
If you throw a basin of water onto the area as soon as the deed is done, it may help to prevent severe burning of the grass.

Did you keep the lawn fed & watered well?

Yep, extremely well watered until established, I haven't fed it yet as I reckon I needed to leave it alone for at least 6 months before feeding....

Makes sense.....I'll try the bucket of water approach and see what happens ! Thanks

Top marks for alliteration to this thread title. (Hey! It's contagious!).

I have 3 dogs 2 male and 1 female had them all since ouppies and no marks in my grass!! Don't know why.

Apparently vinegar in her drinking water should stop this happening - I'll try and find the exact reference later, it's in a book around here somewhere...

And just a warning for the future...

Male dogs mark every lamppost and tree on their walks, and won't pee that much when they get home. Female dogs save it all up and let it go in one load when they get home.

Apparently vinegar in her drinking water should stop this happening - I'll try and find the exact reference later, it's in a book around here somewhere...

I'd guess the reasoning is that it is the ammonia in the pee that is corrosive/odorous. Ammonia is alkaline so an acid would maybe counteract the effects. Doesn't have to be vinegar mind - could be a little lemon juice? Or you could provide your puppy with posh drinking water - with a 'twist of lime & pomegranate'

That doesn't sound too healthy for the dog though.

In fact from what I've read the opposite is true.

[broken link removed]

Obviously if the OP has concerns about using vinegar in drinking water they should talk to their vet, however I think it's a pity to discount natural remedies out of hand just because we're not familiar with them.