can private individual set up direct debit?

thimble

Is it possible for a private individual to set up a direct debit from another person's personal account?

I know the payer can readily set up a standing order from their account to the payee, but my understanding is that this is a 'push' transaction within the control of the payer, whereas if it were a direct debit, it would be a 'pull' transaction controlled by the payee.

I'd like to set up a system involving a regular payment but the person who would be paying is more than a little unreliable. Is there a direct debit form that I could get them to sign which would remove the uncertainty around getting paid on time, or is it only companies that can do this?

Thanks.

Having spent alot of time and form filing trying to get approval from AIB for DD I would not imagine that the bank would be very forthcoming in granting you permission to do what your proposing. If there is not funds in the account it would be pointless anyway.

You can become an originator if approved...
However I don't think it will solve your issues...
It doesn't give any guarantee of funds - it only allows you, with the consent of the payer, to take prior notified amounts from their account.
If your payer hasn't got the funds you won't get paid. You will be charged for returned, unpaid DD's.
It is onerous and time consuming just for one "client"

From
Becoming a Direct Debit Originator

Step 1. Contact your bank and agree sponsorship arrangements. You must be sponsored by a sponsoring bank (i.e. a bank that provides direct debit services) in order to become an originator

Step 2.
Complete all required documentation including an indemnity and authorising resolution and forward to your sponsoring bank for approval

Step 3. If approved, your sponsoring bank will issue you with an Originator Identification Number (OIN)

Step 4. You can now invite your debtors to pay by direct debit by asking them to complete a Direct Debit Instruction (DDI)

Step 5.
To help minimise failed/unpaid direct debits you can consider offering to collect on a date that suits your debtor

Thanks Joe 90 and Crugers for such prompt and knowledgeable responses.
Sounds like direct debit is not the solution. A pity.