can my son still travel on my passport?

liketoknow

i got a ten year passport in 2002, whith my son on it. now i know that the regulations changed on oct 1st 2004 , and it was said that children on a parents passport can still travel this way until it expires.

but the holiday websit i have booked with says all children should have their own . and cant travel under a parents passport. but says the children can still travel on the passport.

anyone any experience of this?

I think it depends where u are going. My son was on my passport also but the new regulations meant he needed hos own one for the states so I think this is only where it applies for

yeah i know a new one is needed for states for sure, we are leaving in ten days , he did travel last year on mine but keep thinking the rules will change and i wont knw!!

My wife went to Canada with my son. My son's name was on her passport.
At the airport they said they really need two parents present with the childs name on both passports or a child's passport. They were actually thinking of not letting them on the plane.
Luckily my wife had my son's birth cert. Once they seen that they were happy enough.
Ideally you should get a passport for your own child.

Went to engerland but I don't that that is relative

I flew with Ryanair and everyone knows how strict they are when it comes to ID for checking in, but they accepted my passport with my sons name on it as ID for him.

We've also gone to France last year with my 2 kids on my passport with no problems

This is not a requirement.

For them to say they "really need" means they don't actually know the requirements.

For me to get my son on my passport, my wife had to sign the form and vice versa.

My eldest son is just on my passport but my youngest is on both. It has never been an issue in the last 4 years

It depends on where you're going. Some countries require individual passports, some still don't. The USA, South Africa and several others DO require separate passports for kids. Call the Dept of Foreign Affairs immediately and check if you need them or not for wherever it is you're going, but it is probably easier to get it anyway. You can get express passports fairly quickly, but you'd want to hurry!

im going to lanzarote and by me asking where to , it is relevant as some countries are no go areas for children travelling on a parents passport and some places are allowed.

tosullivan,

i only asked you where you went as i wanted to find out where it was ok for you to travel to with your child on your passport. no ulterior motive at all.

The norm nowadays is for children to have their own passports.
Cost varies depending on age......up to 3 years.......3 to 18 years and over 18(€15..25..and 75 I think)

I have all four children on my passpost. I am going to France in May and Venice in July, do I need to get an individual passport for each child?

I have all four children on my passpost. I am going to France in May and Venice in July, do I need to get an individual passport for each child?

Parents’ passports issued before 1 October on which children have been included remain valid and do not need to be replaced.
Children who are included on a parent's passport issued before 1 October 2004, may continue to travel to most countries up to their 16th birthday along with that parent providing the passport is still valid. There are, however, some exceptions including the Czech Republic which requires persons aged 15 and over to carry their own passport and Estonia which requires all persons aged 7 and over to carry their own passport. Additionally, since 26 October 2004, all persons, irrespective of age, require an individual passport for entry into the United States .

im going to lanzarote and by me asking where to , it is relevant as some countries are no go areas for children travelling on a parents passport and some places are allowed.

off the original post but if this is your first time to Lanzarote I've been there many times and have lots of links / info if needed.

graham07, yeah id love that thanks this is my 6th time but i was going to try plan the trip before i leave this time as im travelling with both kids and would like to be a little organised. thanks

graham07, yeah id love that thanks this is my 6th time but i was going to try plan the trip before i leave this time as im travelling with both kids and would like to be a little organised. thanks

Well you've probably a good idea so but where you staying? Is it Puerto del Carmen? ( the Irish stronghold ! ) Check out :-

http://www.gazettelanzarote.com/
good magazine with lots info , the mag is free usually seen around the resorts . Theres also a forum there (residents corner) you can ask questions on of visitors/english speaking residents.

http://www.discoverlanzarote.com/
tourist site pretty good too

for the all important weather !

Incidentally, if you going soon, the (almost ever present) wind has been very strong lately. Even as a seasoned visitor watch the sun cream, it's easy to get caught out as I found the other week. Restaurants are quiet now too ( not sure when you're going) & bargains to be had in shops, so haggle more than usual.

12th may , to puerto del carmen, just for a week, yeah i got caught out about three years ago there, burnt to a crisp!!! spent four days inside couldnt move lol.

thanks a million ill check those out