Can my solicitor do this to me?

AlastairSC

I settled out of court for a car accident 8 years ago. I was paid the bulk of the money, but my solicitor held on to the last €3000, against outstanding medico-legal claims unprocessed, they said.

After many phone calls and letters, I persuaded them to release half of this about 3 years ago, (€1500) but they seem to be on a go-slow about looking for any outstanding medical claims, sorting them and paying me the balance. In a recent phone call they even said I might have to pay them money if the claims are more than the €1500 they're holding. All this after I was assured on the court steps that I would receive all of the award!

Should I press for closure or not?

as far as I know, if bills are not issued within 6 years, you do not have to pay. check with citizens advice near you.

you could also write to solicitor asking for full details of all bills that are to hand, but not yet paid and the reason why, as well as details of all bills that he feels are yet to come, the reason in his opinion for the delay in sending them to him and ask if they must be paid given the delay. Give 10 days for a reply then folow up and if no response at that time, report to law society

I settled out of court for a car accident 8 years ago. I was paid the bulk of the money, but my solicitor held on to the last €3000, against outstanding medico-legal claims unprocessed, they said.
8 years ago we were using irish pounds do you mean £3,000

In the time between the crash and getting to the court steps four years had elapsed and the country had changed currency!

Back