can music from tapes be transfered to blank cd

Maggie B

Hi,
I have a mini system -- cd player, 2 tape deck and radio. I have some great music tapes I would like to transfer to my ipod. I presume they have to be put on cd first, is it possible to do this from my mini system. Sorry not very up to date with this type of thing.

Yes.

Easiest way is to record them on to a computer, or onto something that can transfer a recording to a computer. Some MP3 players and Minidisc recorders can do this.

You can record from the line out on the stereo, or if it doesn't have one the earphone will do and connect it to the line in on your computer. Theres software like CDWAVE that you can use to record. Generally it records to a WAV file which you split up into seperate tracks, and then convert them to MP3 for your iPod. I've done quite a lot of my old cassettes this way. I use a MiniDisc though. I burn the WAV's to CD as a backup.

The quality will depend on how good the cassette is, the cassette deck, the sound card on your computer etc. Takes a bit of time as it has to do it in real time. An 90min cassette takes 90mins to record. There are places that can do it for you, and probably have equipment to do it faster. But its probably cheaper to buy the CD!

thanks for info, i have quiet a lot of tapes with favourite songs(recorded from radio etc) that I would like to put onto a few cd's.

Back