Can I Use My Laser card in NY ?

spfeno

Can amyone tell me if I can use my LASER card (with Cirrus/Maestro) in New York next week and if so is there large charges for same. I'd rather bring the card than a large amount of cash

Thanks in advance

yes, if Cirrus is written on it (may be it is on all laser card anyway). Only for cash withdrawal at ATM. You can't pay in shops with it. Enjoy NY.

You can't pay in shops with it.

I used my NIB laser card in NY to pay in shops. I hadn't realised it would work but when my credit card wouldn't work (too many uses in one day...), I tried the Laser and the transaction went through fine. And have since used Laser in supermarkets and lots of other shops in the US. I think you can even get cashback.

I used my NIB laser card in NY to pay in shops. I hadn't realised it would work but when my credit card wouldn't work (too many uses in one day...), I tried the Laser and the transaction went through fine. And have since used Laser in supermarkets and lots of other shops in the US. I think you can even get cashback.

You will find that the transactions would have been Maestro Debit transactions ([broken link removed])) rather than Laser transactions (http://www.lasercard.ie) as Laser is Irish retailers only. Also Cirrus is for ATM withdrawals ([broken link removed])

If your card works abroad then you are using some other facility (e.g. Cirrus/Maestro/Plus+) that it includes and not the Laser facility which is specific to Ireland (and some online transactions).

If your card works abroad then you are using some other facility (e.g. Cirrus/Maestro/Plus+) that it includes and not the Laser facility which is specific to Ireland (and some online transactions).
Are there any Laser cards without Cirrus/Maestro?

You will find that the transactions would have been Maestro Debit transactions ([broken link removed])) rather than Laser transactions (http://www.lasercard.ie) as Laser is Irish retailers only. Also Cirrus is for ATM withdrawals ([broken link removed])

Am heading to NY next month - is there any extra charge for using an Irish bank card in NY?

I have found the Maestro service to be unreliable, sometimes it is accepted, sometimes not. Cirrus (ATM) service has very rarely been a problem though.

Are there any Laser cards without Cirrus/Maestro?
Yes.
I have found the Maestro service to be unreliable, sometimes it is accepted, sometimes not. Cirrus (ATM) service has very rarely been a problem though.
Indeed, even in the UK Maestro is advertised everywhere but my UB laser/maestro would work in only 50% of places. My postbank Maestro card worked nowhere.

I have both Laser(with Maestro logo) and Visa: Are there any advantages in using one over the other while in New York.

Thanks

After the above replies I looked closer at my Laser Card. I noticed on the back of same, a small pink logo and under it in even smaller print "€130." Before I ring my bank on Monday can someone explain what this means. Never noticed it before and I often take more than €130 out of the ATM machine in Ireland.

That is the cheque guarantee symbol. It guarantees a cheque up to €130 if the card number is written on the rear of the cheque by the payee.

Nothing to be worried about.

Thanks James I mean Mr. Bond :D

We've had to write cheques in the past for more than the allowed limit (hospital bills) and have never even presented the card. Sent the cheques by post. Thanks for the info. I didn't want to get stuck in NY and then find that the €130 would cause a problem.

Btw... Can you thrown any light on my first question. We're travelling to New York..... which should we use, Laser (Maestro) or Visa.

Thanks.

Some banks (e.g TSB) charge hefty fees when you use your ATM card abroad, so check with your bank. These fees make it uneconomical to use the card for small withdrawals, for instance.

Thanks extopia

I am hoping to bring some dollars with me, for tips and small purchases, and use my Visa for hotel and meals etc. I'll try to avoid using the ATM at all.

Thanks James I mean Mr. Bond :D

We've had to write cheques in the past for more than the allowed limit (hospital bills) and have never even presented the card. Sent the cheques by post.
The card is used where you are writing a cheque, e.g in a shop to guarantee the payment -up to a limit of 130. So, in cases where you send cheques by post, and greater than the limit of 130, it wouldnt apply.

Back