can I turn off drm

dollyclare

I want to transfer songs to i-tunes and can't from wmplayer as drm is on. For the future can I turn it off ?

In Wmplayer 10 its Tools-Options-Rip Music and uncheck copy protect music, will only apply to music you rip from now on though I think your previously ripped songs will remain copy protected.

thanks damm099.I did that thanks.But I dloaded from a music web site which only dloads in wma format.This is still protected.

dollyclare said:
thanks damm099.I did that thanks.But I dloaded from a music web site which only dloads in wma format.This is still protected.

Unfortunately there is no way you are going to get that directly into iTunes, one of the drawbacks of DRM is that there are incompatible systems out there (the two main ones being Apples Fairplay AAC and Microsofts WMA).

I've never worked with protected WMA files can you burn it to a standard audio CD? If you can you could then rip the CD in iTunes, however there may be some loss of quality.

dam099 said:
I've never worked with protected WMA files can you burn it to a standard audio CD? If you can you could then rip the CD in iTunes, however there may be some loss of quality.

Yup, I've done this. Bought an album on mycokemusic.com (WMA with DRM), burned a CD with windows media player. Imported the CD with iTunes.

Seemed to work, but some funky stuff was happening. I think I had to have both media player & iTunes running at the same time.

DRM freaks me out a bit, don't like these programs that keep going off to the internet to do stuff. Last upgrade with iTunes did all kinds of funky stuff, re-wrote all the songs I'd previously bought. No warning that this would happen or why it was necessary.

Thanks tiger and dammo99.That's what I usually do-burn files to audio cd and then rip to i-tunes.I just thought there might be an easier way out.I'm going to stop buying wma stuff as soon as I use up the credits I'm owed.

Bear in mind you will possibly have the same problem at some time in the future with AAC tracks purchased from iTunes. While it might be the market leader now there is no guarantee that the iPod and any successors from Apple will always be the MP3 player you want so you could end up with the same problem in reverse down the road (needing to import AAC into Windows Media Player or whoever is the favoured music player at that point)

dam099 said:
While it might be the market leader now there is no guarantee that the iPod and any successors from Apple will always be the MP3 player you want so you could end up with the same problem in reverse down the road

Tell that to Santa Claus :)

Back