Can I transfer money from BOI in South to BOI in North?

sitstill

I have a BOI account in the South and one in the North.

Is it possible to add my Northern account as a beneficiary online so I can transfer money into it? Or would I have to add it as an International Transfer - if so, how much would that cost and how long would it take?

Can I lodge money into my NI account at BOI branches in the South?

You would have to add the NI account as an international beneficiary. The set-up takes a couple of days as you have to get a code by post to complete the set-up. But once set-up, it's there for future re-use.

There is a charge for sending a payment to a non-EUR currency area. For GBP, I think it's a percentage of the transaction value, but BOI can confirm that for you.

If you go to a branch, it would be, for the first transfer, a day or two quicker - the rate and the charge would be similar. For subsequent transfers, using the browser would be more convenient.

euro to sterling currency converter

check www.currency.ie, depending on how much you need to send it should work out cheaper on rates and fees and they have an online system.

obviously always compare with your bank though

If you can do this then the rules must have changed in recent years.

When I first moved to RoI about 10yrs ago, my wages in NI were paid into my NI account and I asked about moving money from this to my RoI account and was told it was not allowed - something to do with international borders, money laundering etc.

International transfer takes 3 working days from roi to ni if you set it up on the internet account with BOI. You will have to add both accounts as international benificiaries.

exchange rates

international transfers using your bank will leave you receiving terrible exchange rates

international transfers using your bank will leave you receiving terrible exchange rates

I did a quick check on this.

365 Online: Transfer EUR 3000 to GBP = 2526.90 (0.8423)
XE.com : Transfer EUR 3000 to GBP = 2577.02 (0.8590)

So, on face value, a potential gain of GBP 50.12. To realise that gain, you need to get your funds to XE.com, and then wait for them to get the funds to your GBP account. I don't know how long that would take, but assume it would take longer than the equivalent transfer within BOI.