Can I submit planning permission for an extension myself?

stapler

I am going to build an extension to my bungalow - nothing too complicated, and about 600 square feet. I have some computer software that helps design such things that I can work ok, although I am not in the building trade or anything like that.

My question is: do I need an architect / draftsman to submit the planning application on my behalf?, or could I do it myself?

Has anyone had experience of submitting their own application? I have been looking through some of the other posts on this subject and the cost of an architect for the design phase is very high, considering I know exactly what I want already.

Thanks for any replies.

Haven't submitted my own applications but one can certainly do it, just make sure you tick all the right boxes etc to avoid being an invalid application

the main thing to do is to check up your local authoritys website for a checklist of whats to be included in an application. A planning application is very detailed, and if there something you omit the file wont be considered valid and will be sent back to you.

the perfect way to ensure its valid is to download the planning act 2001 and ammendment 2006, and to go throught that to see what exactly is included.......

it may cause you so many headaches that it may be worth paying somebody..... an engineering student or architectural technology student might do it as a nixer for a few 100 euros...... extensions that i do myself *wink* i charge about €800, as the plans of the existing dwelling itself also have to be included, which would mean measuring it up etc.....

Going through the planning act could be quite onerous. I recently submitted my own planning permission (successfully), and would recommend getting copies of a few similar applications to see the type of information included.

A diy application will be accepted. Just check with the planning dept and they will help you. I know they like to keep the business to themselves but I have seen applications done by ordinary applicants and if they contain the correct measurements they must be accepted.

tipperary has a good sugestion there... got to planning dept and look at current planning apps or ones already granted..... (any neighbours had something similar done?... their planning files should be available to VIEW... no photocopies allowed but you can sketch/ take notes)

Use local papers to advertise... cheaper if you do mess up.... you dont need to use Irish Times.... at aprox €250 for advert.... when local papers may do at €60... so if there is a mistake... the planning dept will say what is missing and you can re advertise.... phone the planning department and find which paper for advertising will be acctable in your area....

In Cork, Limerick & Waterford it is 6 copies of everything.... not sure if this is standard... guessing it is... Full dimensioned drawings of existing dwelling needs to be submitted to scale 1/100 all dimensioned in metric along with proposed drawings (plans, Elevations & sections)...

Getting the wording of advert & site notice is vital, ask the planning department for their help. ie A Single Story Side Extension to existing dwellinghouse and A Single Story Extension to Side of existing dwellinghouse are two completly different things, one is attached to dwelling, the other is to the side of dwelling indicating it may not be attached. This is where the Irish Times or equivelent paper advertising will be expensive for your purpose as any minor misreading will delay application by 4 wks in system and result in resubmitting and readvertising.

And note.... 40 m2 (aprox 400ft2) extension to rear of existing dwelling is exempt as long as there is a remaining 25m2 of open gardan space remaining. the planning Dept will give you advice on this.

Back