Can I request to deal with banks by letter and not face the awful 'unknown number'

newdawn

Is it reasonable to ask that you be contacted by letter when trying to come to a new re-payment arrangement with a finance company (rather than by phone?) ? I am finding class increasingly stressful. 'Unknown number' sends me into utter panic and depression. Its hard enough to face what each day might bring...these calls send me over the edge altogether. I know in an ideal world I should pick up the phone and face all calls...but I find it so very hard.

What does anyone advise? I have requested that we try to work it out by letter and explained that I find phone calls very stressful - is this acceptable? Thanks.

Hi

No, I don't think it is acceptable to avoid talking to your lender if you are in arrears.

However, you can do so on your own terms, and it's perfectly acceptable not to answer phone calls from unknown numbers.

But you should return the call when you are ready to talk.

If you refuse to talk to them, then they will continue ringing and will probably classify you as non-cooperating.

Brendan

Brendan. I agree with your advise here but I have one problem about where the Bank are ringing with an unknown number and where they are recording it as an attempt to contact you. I have a policy with anyone who wishes to contact me that I will not answer blocked numbers while on the other hand I answer all other calls or return calls as soon as I possibly can.

I had a problem with a senior member of staff in AIB where I was trying to get a problem that they were responsible sorted. I had stated in writing to this senior staff member my policy on phone calls prior to the problem arising. This staff member would have known me quite well. It was only when I stated that I would be lodging a complaint in relation to the blocked phone call method that I got a phone call two days later with the number showing and matter sorted.
I am not the only individual who has an objection to blocked numbers.
I consider it to be bad manners. There probably a lot of people out there who disagree with me.

Thanks for both responses. I wouldn't avoid all contact with anyone I owe money to but given that I sent them payslips and all sorts of documents and wrote quite detailed letters, I'd hoped that they would respond in kind. Thanks anyway.

Hi Newdawn,

I agree with Brendan that you must keep a line of communication open with your lender. However, this does not have to be telephonic.

You can quite reasonably inform whoever telephones you that you have no means of verifying that they are who they say they are. Insist that from now on, they contact you by email or by letter and then end the call.

This gives you at least 3 advantages:
1. You will have time to collect your thoughts before replying
2. You will have a permanent record of the number of contacts and the full text of each contact
3. Your lender would have to be much more careful about what it says when it has to communicate in writing.

Thanks for both responses. I wouldn't avoid all contact with anyone I owe money to but given that I sent them payslips and all sorts of documents and wrote quite detailed letters, I'd hoped that they would respond in kind. Thanks anyway.

Have you written to the financial institution and explained that taking calls from unknowns numbers is making you feel ill and that you will talk to them if they call you at a given time, from a known number and person. Would that solve the issue for you.

Would it make it easier for you if somebody else were there with you to help with the call, or to take the call for you. Do you have a family member or a friend who is good with numbers that would do this for you.

Don't take the calls, write to them and ask them to leave you a voice mail and you can then return the call or even more ask them to only call you on a certain day between certain hours. ie Monday between 3pm and 5pm so you know to expect them. Sure the bank will correspond in writing but sometimes telephone contact may be necessary.

Back