Can I pay my visa bill with a cheque made out to me?

michaelm

I'm pretty sure I can do this but, if I have a cheque made out to me can I simply sign the back of it and then pay my visa bill with it?

I may be wrong; but if the cheque is crossed, you will have to lodge it into your account first to clear...

i would lodge it and then pay using on line banking...any help?

I specifically didn't want to lodge it. Looking at my cheque book I see that the cheques come pre-crossed now. I thought by signing it it could be paid into another account (ie. my visa account). I appreciate that if it's crossed it must be lodged to some account.

It was quite usual in the past to sign the back of a cheque and past on but in my recollection that is not possible anymore. I had a cheque a year or so made out to me but with slightly wrong spelling, I had the proof it was mine and signed the back and the bank would still not lodge even to my account. The chief reason as I understood is to avoid money laundering etc. I think your only option is to have the issuer make out a new cheque to Visa. Cheques are becoming a thing of the past with some banks even withdrawing the cheque guarantee facility.