Can i open an account with Halifax if i am unemployed?

kaplomb

I was recently made redundant and want to open a Halifax account so that i can get a Visa Debit card for leaving the country. Will i be able to do this or must i face even more rejection??

Take into consideration that Halifax are allegedly leaving the Irish market... quoted elsewhere on this site from either the SBP or Sunday Tribune from what I recall..

I didn't have a problem opening a current account with Halifax as an unemployed person back in March, hopefully shouldn't be an issue.....the Visa Debit card is brilliant and I'll be very sorry to see Halifax shut up shop if the rumours are true, Laser is a joke by comparison.

When I opened my account, they wanted five months of bank statements so they could see my salary being lodged and judge my credit worthiness. They said this was because of the non-optional overdraft on all current accounts.

At the end of the day, all you can do is apply and see what they say.

I'm unemployed and had no problem. They don't look for the 5 months of statements anymore. I hope they don't close....I'm going to miss the Visa Debit Card. It's saving me a fortune over 3V!

Thanks everybody. Yes, i have read the threads saying that Halifax might be withdrawing from the Irish market, which i hope doesn't happen as they seem like a really great bank. I was told by BOI and AIB that i wouldn't be eligible for a credit card, regardless of my savings, because i am currently unemployed, so the Visa Debit card seems like the ideal solution. I only need the card for travelling in September so even if they do close it won't affect me (i hope). I am thinking of transferring money into the Halifax account as i need it from my AIB a/c so i don't lose anything if they close....any advice?

Uh-oh...just got this quote off [broken link removed]

"If you're over 18, permanently resident in the Republic of Ireland and receiving a regular income, you can apply for a Halifax Current Account."

Would social welfare count as regular income?

I rang Halifax and they said that the current a/c i saw online was their high interest current a/c, which requires a monthly deposit. However, they have a standard current a/c which i am eligible to open regardless of my employment status...so long as i bring one proof of address and one proof of identity. Also, if they are going to close customers will be given ample notice to make arrangements.

Back