Can I open a bank account for a third party?

Bronco Lane

I have a son who lives abroad and who will be returning home in a few years time. He has asked me to open up a bank account on his behalf here in Ireland so he can start sending back funds. He has no utility bills or proof of address here in Ireland but he would have them for his address abroad. Either way can I open an account in his name?

I had Financial Power of Attorney for my late mum, and wanted to open a separate account for her pension to go into, and her contribution to Nursing Home fees to be paid from by Direct Debit. I couldn't!. Was told that as the FPOA didn't include opening an account, just operating them, Mum would have to come in and open it herself!.

She hadn't the capacity to do this as she was in hospital for months by this stage. I eventually got Enduring Power of Attorney, and could do it among other things, but as Mum died in hospital soon after, the Nursing Home Fee issue didn't arise.

So, I hope it works out for you, and be prepared to face barriers.

Darth.

Banks are very hesitant to open accounts for people not living in Ireland.

They may request that he sign a non resident declaration. He will still have to complete the anti money laundering requirements as well. That is a legal requirement, not a banking one.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back