Can I give someone a present of a prepaid debit card?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I know I can transfer money to someone who has a debit card.

But let's say I want to give someone a prepaid card with €100 on it. How would I do that?

And not one-for-all as that is specific shops.

Brendan

Thanks

That looks suitable. It's for a friend of mine who wants to give someone overseas about €200.

So about €3 in charges in total?

Seems ok.

Brendan

That looks suitable. It's for a friend of mine who wants to give someone overseas about €200.
I think the card needs to be set up with the recipient's name, DOB, address, phone number etc.

General purpose anonymous gift cards exist (not sure in Irish market). Money laundering risk is gigantic so they are capped at €150 with a limit of €50 per transaction.

Getting them for the US is tricky. They insist you pay with a US payment method. Amazon did a Visa gift card if the person is in the US and they allowed payment with an Irish credit card.

If you get a one for all voucher for over €150, you have to register the card and submit your passport or driving licence to an app in order to activate it.

I don't think it's for the US. But the recipient might well want to buy from a US company.

Brendan
Shouldn't be a problem buying from US companies. I ran into issues trying to get a card for a US citizen. Amazon were the only one that accepted payment from a non US card.