Can I get both UK and Irish state pensions?

ohnostopgo

UK citizen, moved to Dublin just in time for lockdown. I already have enough British NI contributions to get a pension but would have to keep paying my voluntary stamp to get the full amount. This will be my first year of paying into the Irish system. I just have the usual predictable questions, but would anyone mind enlightening me please? Struggling to get my head around it.

1) If I live here but go on paying the UK stamp, is there any rule on either side that would stop me having the benefit of it? Quite keen to get both pensions but not if I'm looking at penalty deductions from either one.

2) Same in reverse, if I move back to Britain later on can I pay an overseas Irish stamp without problems?

3) If I claim credit in Ireland for my existing UK contributions, does that wipe them off the UK system and stop me getting a pension over there? I am not likely to work another 40 years for a full Irish pension, so getting credit for those years would help me.

4) Do I qualify for Irish pre-entry credits, as a new immigrant? Or is that just for school leavers?

I recently found out about the possibility of paying reduced Class 2 rate NI as a foreign resident. Waiting to hear back from HMRC about how to fill in the form, but I don't really get why there's a lower rate. Because I would be unlikely to use the NHS? Governments tend not to spontaneously let people off paying tax for the stuff we don't need...

The short answer is yes but there are conditions- to qualify for an Irish state pension you must have paid 520. See
Operational Guidelines: PRSI - PRSI Voluntary Contributions on gov.ie

Thanks, so it's a 10 year minimum contribution in order to get any pension or be able to make voluntary payments. If I worked 9 years then moved away, I'd get no pension or refund at all, same as the UK system?

The short answer is yes

UK citizen, moved to Dublin just in time for lockdown. I already have enough British NI contributions to get a pension but would have to keep paying my voluntary stamp to get the full amount. This will be my first year of paying into the Irish system. I just have the usual predictable questions, but would anyone mind enlightening me please? Struggling to get my head around it.

1) If I live here but go on paying the UK stamp, is there any rule on either side that would stop me having the benefit of it? Quite keen to get both pensions but not if I'm looking at penalty deductions from either one.

2) Same in reverse, if I move back to Britain later on can I pay an overseas Irish stamp without problems?

3) If I claim credit in Ireland for my existing UK contributions, does that wipe them off the UK system and stop me getting a pension over there? I am not likely to work another 40 years for a full Irish pension, so getting credit for those years would help me.

4) Do I qualify for Irish pre-entry credits, as a new immigrant? Or is that just for school leavers?

2) At the moment no, Ireland don't allow you to pay voluntary contributions if you're compulsorily insured in another EU social security scheme.

3) There is no wiping off of systems or exchanging between systems. Your UK credits are locked in.

4) Yes you should obtain the pre-entry credit the first day you start employment here. If in doubt, you can request your PRSI record from the social welfare office.

Back