Can I get a bed (in Ireland) for an American mattress?

jccf2003

We just got our furniture from the US having moved back last year, and it looks like we'll need to get a new bed (frame). We have a mattress that I'd really like to keep, but it's a US queen size - does anyone know if that's the exact same size as an Irish king? I know they're both 5ft mattresses, but don't know about the exact dimensions...

Thanks!

Hi
An American Queen is longer than an Irish 5ft... US is 7' and Irish is 6'6".

You could have a bed custom made. There are a fair few cabinet makers and furniture shops that would be able to do this.

Cheers
Joe

Aghhh no! That screams big money I wish I'd realised before we'd packed up the moving van...

Thanks for the response Joe

JoeBallantin said:
An American Queen is longer than an Irish 5ft... US is 7' and Irish is 6'6".

This is incorrect, a standard American queen size matresses is 80 inches long and a standard Irish king size is 78 inches long (both 60 inches wide), so it is only a 2 inch difference.

You might get away with using an Irish king size frame as I've noticed all the beds in my house have space to spare between the matress and frame, probably to aid in tucking in sheets and turning the matress. Just take a tape measure with you to furniture shops and measure the inner recess of the frame, you might be lucky!

I think you will be lucky because I have been to furniture shops that stock American made furniture and the sales guy pointed out the extra length.

Things might be looking up after all then - I measured the length and it's just over 200mm which is pretty close to the Irish sizing I should probably get the other half to measure it too to make sure I'm not fooling myself though!

Thanks for all the advice

Hi

Yeah, sorry, US Queen is 60" x 80", Californian Queen is 60" x 84"... this is from the first google result for 'American mattress sizes'.

The first poster seems to be sorted now as her mattress is only 2000mm, that's 78.75" so it should be ok, only three quarters of an inch too long.

I make beds and other pine furniture for a living and I've noticed that it's difficult to get beds longer than 6'6" from shops.... despite the fact that for many people, this is too small, and the fact that my mattress manufacturer can provide me with 7' or longer mattresses of any quality for only about 20% extra (compared to standard sized mattress).
It makes no difference to me or other custom furniture makers whether the bed is 6'6" or 7'6" long... so this is a niche market that I can fill and tall people are usually estatic when they realise they can get a 7'0" bed and quality mattress to match. Can be done for less than €500.

Cheers
Joe

Custom pine furniture, Co. Wicklow.