Can I dye something that's bleach damaged?

Bubbly Scot

I have shirt that met with an accident with some bleach, it's a navy blue (brand new) dress type shirt in thick cotton and forms part of a uniform. The bleach has made a large part of the front and tail a sort of off white splodge.

Is it possible to dye it, or more specifically dye the parts that have been bleached? there is writing across the breast and a cloth badge so I can't submerge the entire thing. Since I was only issued it a few weeks ago I really, really don't want to go back to the powers that be and admit to being careless but I'm supposed to be wearing it tomorrow. :eek:

At the moment I'm praying for rain so I can keep my jacket on!

It's never been washed, do you think the colour might run and cover the bleached bit?

hiya bubbly,
whats it made of?

If its cotton you can try just dying the bleached bits, but its unlikely youll get a good match with the original colour, also the bleach may have damaged the material fibres so may dye unevenly.

Its unlikely the colour will run to cover it.

If I were you id be inclined to present it in its bleached state to the powers that be and claim the hubby or kids had an accident with bleach - just to keep yourself innocent :)

Hi Bubbly
You could dye it, but you may find that the end colour is still lighter than the rest of the garment.
Also, it depends what the material is: will dye better if 100% cotton, if a mix will either not dye, or take the dye more faintly.
I think you might have to go back to the Powers that Be for a new shirt I'm afraid..From experience in the past, you can spot dye material, but the results can be very variable, and colour matching will be a problem
Nicola

Last edited:
It doesn't appear to have been bleach after all, but it still "bleached" the fabric, think it was Cillit bang. It was infact hubby's fault, our room was a mess for a few days as we were doing up the en-suite so I blame him for leaving the bottles lying around. (we won't heed the fact that I left the shirt lying around too)

I'm really tempted to just try and dye it, it's 100% cotton, that thick military style uniform material but a deep blue colour. If that fails, I'll go to Plan B. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks girlies.

(apologies to mods for putting this in the wrong forum)

What about a permanent marker? I'd use that sometimes if a black top got a splash of bleach, or to cover over the 'dunnes' on a label. :D

I am sorry, but I don't think it will work as the colour will never be even. Put it down to experience!

Just to update. I wrote (coward!!) to my group leader and explained the situation. He said he had a spare in the store room which he then gave to me. Granted it's a couple of sizes bigger but hopefully "the powers that be" won't notice. It was very good of him because budget restraints are making uniforms really hard to get at the mo.

So all's well that ends well, I just have to endure the constant, but good humoured jibes at training every time uniforms are mention :eek:

Thanks for your suggestions.

Back