can i claim mileage if i have a company van?

K

kendi

Hi,

Can i claim mileage if i have a company van as opposed to getting a fuel card? Is it an either/or situation. One accountant told me I could and another told me I couldn't.

Ubiquitous,

Thank you for that painfully honest straight to the point response which has just ripped me tenuous hopes apart!!

At the risk of further ripping your hopes apart is there any chance that you could also be liable for BIK?

[broken link removed]

Clubman,

I am fine on this front. I guess I am just looking for the most efficiently legit way of setting this up. In the absense of no mileage I can then have the company supply the van, fuel card, tax, insurance, etc. The mileage does work out better though so I was just being greedy!

Would I be right in thinking then that if I replaced one of my cars for a company car (currently paying mileage for use of private car), and that company car was only used for company business then their would be no BIK due on that?

I know someone who has a company car and doesnt pay bik. The company has it set up that he doesnt.

Sorry - I assumed that blueshoes meant that the person in question was avoiding (evading?) BIK altogether. I realise that BIK is normally (always?) supposed to be dealt with by the employer via payroll these days.

So in you guys opinion, is it better to get a company vehicle or use private vehicle and pay oneself mileage allowance?

I think there is a grey area in my situation (IT) whereby even through my home is my registered business address and a portion of my business takes place there, software development & consultancy etc, that travel to and from my client site is not covered as business mileage??

Hence no mileage for my commute to client site and the commercial enquiry.

Or have I been told wrong about my mileage allowance availability in my situation?