Can I build an extension to the back of my new build at the same time?

Dinny

I have just received permission for our new house. I am thinking of making it bigger by about 35sqm over two floors to the rear of the house. We have plenty of room on the site and no problems with boundaries.

Can I build this as extension to the permitted house at the same time as I build the house or do I need to put in a separate planning. It would be more cost effective to do all the work at the one time.

Thanks for any input.

As Condition One of your permission probably states " development shall be carried out in accordance with the plans, particulars and specification lodged with the application" and so you should apply for an alteration if you wish to include the extra square metres in this phase of the development.

i have had first hand experience of this in our office, where we argued with the council that an 'extension' built by a client was under the granted size, however the council argued that because it was built at the same time as the main building it wasnt an extension and as such the client was required to apply for permission for retention of the dwelling as constructed... the planning fee in this case is €2.50 per sq m of the whole dwelling.. so a 200 sq m dwelling would cost €500 and so on....

however it must be said that the council would not have known any better if it hadnt been for awkward and argumentative neighbours who brought the councils attention to this....

if you can build without the fear of someone reporting you then......

of course i couldnt advise you to do this....

if you ever go to sell it you will need to have planning so I would advise apply for alteration to existing planning grant

I got it in writing in an email that I could do this. Maybe approach the council themselves?

Edit- for a two floor extension I believe you need separate permission.
Ours was under the exempt development rules.

Michelle.

for your own info...
if you contact the council they will definately say that you require permission for the alteration... this is fine if you are able to wait the 12week min period...

the application will be for a "change of house design"...

hypothetically, if the addition of what you want to build complies with the conditions to be exempt from planning, and the building gets built and finished, who is to say when it was built??

if you ever go to sell it you will need to have planning so I would advise apply for alteration to existing planning grant

So if you build your house to the current planning permission design, then 5 years later build the extension, which is exempt from planning there would be no issue with selling. But like you said would cost a lot more to get builders in again....

or...

hypothetically, if the addition of what you want to build complies with the conditions to be exempt from planning, and the building gets built and finished, who is to say when it was built??

BTW make sure your engineer will sign off on it.