Can I bring a weekend type bag on aer lingus to London?

witchymand

Hi,
am going to London tonight. Just wanted to know can I bring on one small sports type bag? Am going to Heathrow, so usually I always go to the Fast pass machine in Dublin airport and just type in my reference number to get my boarding pass, but now I don't know what to do. I will just have some moisturiser and make up and of course a few items of clothing. What do you think?
Thanks

Yes you can bring it with you to London - no problem at all there (situation is just the same as it was last month for flights to the UK from Ireland.

For your flight back to Ireland from the UK it's a bit different though.

Provided your bag is less than 45cmx35cmx16cm you will be able to bring it on board with you (this is the size of say a typical laptop bag- normal "trolley" cases that used to be legitimate hand luggage are too large). You are allowed one such bag only - so you can't bring a handbag as well for example (you'd have to put your handbag in the other bag to get it through)

You will not be able to bring your moisturiser / liquid cosmetics with you in this bag as hand luggage - they will be confiscated by security.

Details here - [broken link removed]

Therefore if you don't want to check a bag in on the return flight I would suggest you bring just as much as you need with you in terms of cosmetics and chuck them away when you're coming home

Of course rules may be further relaxed by the time you're coming home - this is the situation today.

Can I bring a bottle of unopened water on board?

From Dublin to the UK (or anywhere except the US) - no problem - you can open it too if you like

From the UK to Ireland (or anywhere except the US) - you will not be able to bring the bottle through security but there's nothing to stop you buying a bottle of water in WHSmith in the airside area (after security) and bringing it on board.

If you are flying to the US this does not apply there is secondary screening at the boarding gate (extra security just before you get on the aircraft) and they will confiscate any liquids (including those that you purchased airside) apart from a few permitted items - See [broken link removed] for more details