Can I apply for an AIB overdraft online?

haroldsdodge

I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same frustrating experience as me. I'm trying to get an overdraft so rang customer service. They sent me to the branch. Then the branch sent me back to CS. Not sure how to break out of this doom loop? Surely it's the sort of thing you should be able to do with two clicks online? Maybe you can but it's not obvious how. Maybe they want to do some sort of "assessment"? I'd have thought that in this day and age it's all automated and the computer will decide in a microsecond whether I qualify or not.

Many thanks for your help, yes, that's very useful. Interesting though that the first thing they quote is the number to call. That's the same number I rang, and they sent me into the branch (who in turn sent me back to that phone number). Is it not a bit mad that they make it so difficult? Is there really a need to call anyone, let alone have to speak to someone face to face? It's not like I'm asking for a seven-digit mortgage; just an overdraft for a few grand. I've been a customer since the 1990s, so they ought to be able to decide pretty quickly - if not instantly - whether or not I'm a good credit risk. Plus, the fact I've been with them so long gives a clue to my age (= considerable!), so if I can figure out how the interweb works, surely they can?!!!

Assuming you're talking about a personal overdraft rather than business.

You should be able to apply online.
From the App, in the menu "apply & open", and then select "borrow". There should be an "personal overdraft" option there. If it says you can't apply online, they'll provide the direct banking number: 0818 724 725 this is sales rather than customer services.
The usual reason is if you only have a joint account - their processes are less streamlined there, but I've done it before without having to visit a branch.

If your salary is paid into the AIB account, you're almost guaranteed to be automatically approved for an overdraft of a month's net salary. Larger amounts can take longer.

Many thanks for your help, yes, that's very useful. Interesting though that the first thing they quote is the number to call. That's the same number I rang, and they sent me into the branch (who in turn sent me back to that phone number). Is it not a bit mad that they make it so difficult? Is there really a need to call anyone, let alone have to speak to someone face to face? It's not like I'm asking for a seven-digit mortgage; just an overdraft for a few grand. I've been a customer since the 1990s, so they ought to be able to decide pretty quickly - if not instantly - whether or not I'm a good credit risk. Plus, the fact I've been with them so long gives a clue to my age (= considerable!), so if I can figure out how the interweb works, surely they can?!!!
Is there an echo in here?

Back