Can House Title Deeds be stored electronically?

dodo

Just wondering when your mortgage is fully paid.I know people leave Deeds with their solicitors along with their Will, or Bank will hold sometimes,or people have fireproof safe in house to store House deeds.
Can this be stored electronically now that we are in the IT world in 2024

The solicitor told me that they are now held electronically with the land registry even when full ownership passes to you. I presume you can request a copy from the land registry

Not all titles are registered- as in, registered in the Land Registry.

Many, mostly urban, titles are what is called unregistered titles. The title to the property is evidenced
by deeds registered in the Registry of Deeds.

Registration of unregistered titles is only compulsory on a sale- it is not compulsory othrtwise.

In addition to actual title/title deeds, virtually every property will have additional original paperwork necessary for a sale or mortgage including Local Authority letters, Planning Permissions and original Certificates of Compliance/Exemption from Architect's/Engineers.
Old Permissions can be very hard to locate.
And Opinions almost impossible to re-constitute.

mf

We collected deeds from our bank yesterday after paying off our mortgage last year.
A few questions on what we received:
Our house had 2 previous owners. The last owners were a partnership of 4. In the pack received yesterday there were 4 marriage certificates for these guys. But none for the first owners.

Is this something that the solicitor requests? Just the mens names were on the documents so why were the marriage certs needed?

Should they have been passed on to us?
I now have the following information on them: Name, address, previous address, DOB and mothers and fathers names.
I cant find my marriage cert to compare but is all this info still on marriage certs today?

Should I scan all the papers and store them electronically?

Back