Can Graffiti be Explained ?

G

Guest106

As big cities go, Dublin is not too bad in regard to defacement by those reprehensible Graffiti Artists. In looking at some of their efforts around BAC, I notice that a very large number of graffiti messages are placed on walls or whatever spaces are available at the entrance to certain streets. There is a pattern too at entrances to large buildings as if to advise or inform in some way. These messages are usually formed by stringing a small number of capital letters together and usually finished off with some kind of a squiggle. Most are very difficult to discern, one common piece seems to read 'RSK' but there is also 'OYS' and 'MILB'.

Are these done by idle itchy fingers or is there some cultural thing going here to the exclusion of the rest of us mere mortals ? Can anyone shed light on the activity ?

I think you refer to Taggers, the letters you see is their tag or Graffiti name. They would not be considered graffiti artists as such unless their tag comprised of a few different colours and was, well artfull.

Whats the motivation behind being a tagger? Seems a bit pointless and potentially embarrassing if people find out what your tag is and know that you are the person defacing the area.

Whats the motivation behind being a tagger? Seems a bit pointless and potentially embarrassing if people find out what your tag is and know that you are the person defacing the area.

Not everyone sees it as defacing. Sometimes colour is much nicer than just grey concrete.

Not everyone sees it as defacing. Sometimes colour is much nicer than just grey concrete.

Why can't they tag their own 'grey concrete'? Regardless of what you think of it, is damaging someone elses property not a criminal offence?

Why can't they tag their own 'grey concrete'? Regardless of what you think of it, is damaging someone elses property not a criminal offence?

how PC of you. I think that some places could do with it. Why can councils etc work with these guys/gals to do it. They do in the UK

how PC of you. I think that some places could do with it. Why can councils etc work with these guys/gals to do it. They do in the UK

What? pc to think that they sholdn't damage other peoples/companies/public property? How would you feel if they 'tagged' your front wall or front door, or your car?

What? pc to think that they sholdn't damage other peoples/companies/public property? How would you feel if they 'tagged' your front wall or front door, or your car?

I haven't so i can't feel something i know nothing of, such as child birth

Do you ever see the artistic side of it at all ???

I wouldnt class creating art on some grey concrete as damage.
If Banksy tagged anything of mine Id be thrilled.

I haven't so i can't feel something i know nothing of, such as child birth

Do you ever see the artistic side of it at all ???

I wouldnt class creating art on some grey concrete as damage.

Rarely, there is, a DavyJones has said, a distinction between taggers and graffiti artists. I see it for what it is - antisocial behaviour that shouldn't be tolerated, along with all the other forms such as littering, spitting on the street, drunken 'antics', random acts of violence etc etc.

is that yes or no ???

If these taggers and graffiti 'artists' think it is so wonderful how come they don't do the outside of their own homes? Or their own streets? Fear of the locals I imagine. This is art with a capital F and should be treated as such. When they're caught, part of the punisment should involve cleaning up the mess.

which they do in the UK. But would you say there is no artistic talent in what some of them do ???

which they do in the UK. But would you say there is no artistic talent in what some of them do ???

? Yes, I would say 'there is no artistic talent in what some of them do'. As for the rest of them...

Artistic talent there may or may not be but they shouldn't force everyone else to look at what they consider art.

9T
Artistic talent there may or may not be but they shouldn't force everyone else to look at what they consider art.

Could the same not be said for some mordern architctural deisgn? , its not to everybody's taste!?

i personally dont mind the graffiti, some of it can be really nice to look at, there is a difference between that and the DAMO WOZ ERE 9T9 scratched across a wall!!!

that is disgraceful and they should be made clean that!!