Can foreign nationals vote ?

can someone tell me why we can't use our PPS numbers as a means of a single use voting ID (along with drivers licence/passport to prove ID) as everyone has only 1 ?

It'd be a piece of cake to limit the list to over 18s and Irish citizens and as the card has a magnetic strip, you could swipe it on the way in, your ID is removed from the list and you couldn't vote again as the computer system would see it was already swiped and therefore had already voted ?

I could even program the system for them ? (at current market rates of course )

The mind boggles how our register is in such a mess !!!

How can you be sure that everyone has only 1 PPS number ? People could surely apply for more than one using slight variations of name and different addresses ?

I am a non-EU citizen and have received a polling card. Just as confused about this as Merlin as I have no recollection of registering. At the same time, some (Irish) friends involved in politics advised that I am entitled to vote in all but presidential elections and referendums (as they result in amendments to the Constitution).

Irish citizens may vote at every election and referendum. provided they are registered

British citizens may vote in Dail Elections, European Elections, Local Government elections, provided they are registered.

Other European Citizens (Eu) may vote at Government and Local elections, unless they have become Irish Citizens, provided they are registered.

Non EU citizens may vote at local elections only, provided they are registered.

I'd like to believe that it's a genuine mistake on those sending out polling cards, in that they are confusing the rules, i.e. the rules which apply differ between Local Government and Dail Elections.

A person completing a Registration form for members of a household is obliged to sign and date the form!!! Wonder if these signatures are recorded anywhere???.