Can ex partner sell his house?

Given that you are uncovering more and more of his assets decide what you want that is best for you and the kids. Do you want to remain in your current home? Do you want to live in a particular area? Do you want your kids to have a home with their Dad that is suitable for them to stay at.

Then be clear to your solicitor what you want. I want to own a house in this area with this no of bedrooms and the reasons why and what you want your partner to commit to, living in the same area etc, sharing parenting or whatever. Hopefully he won’t have horrendous debts and that you do end up with a house that is your own. I would not consider becoming a HAP tenant of his. At all, he must have some assets to put deposits down on these houses so why would he think that his children would be approved for HAP. It seems to me he thinks he has no responsibilities towards his own children.

Yes I want to remain in the home with the children. Their schools and friends are close and it’s their home. This year has been so difficult for them with the relationship breakdown and lockdown. It would also mean I could get back to work and afford childcare instead of my wage being eaten up by rent. It’s stability and security for us to. I could possibly save towards getting a mortgage of my own down the line.

I don’t think it’s fair to suggest us moving out to be on HAPs if he is in a position to buy another property. Having him as a landlord also doesn’t sit well. The outlook for us would be bleak. But he would again be looking after himself and his own pocket.

Stay where you are - if he had any consideration for his children he would not put them thru this kind of hassle. Why should HAP take over his responsibility and if your circumstances should change in the future ( like taking up employment) you may not be entitled to HAP.

Having gone through this process myself now for nearly 2 years I can definitely tell you do not leave your family home. the court will protect you and your children. You are entitled to be provided for both financially and with a roof over your head. The court will not remove you & children from family home. , I am coming to the end of case progression. Be careful who represents you, as many of them have no experience in Cohabitation Cases.

Thank you susieq. It’s good to hear from someone who has been through this. Unfortunately I don’t have much choice on solicitors because I have had to do this through legal aid. Can I ask if you were able to negotiate between solicitors or did it have to be sorted through the court? It’s so daunting.

@Dairylea
Just wondering how you are doing and if things have been sorted for you. Hope you and the children are doing ok despite all that you have gone through :)

@Dairylea
Just wondering how you are doing and if things have been sorted for you. Hope you and the children are doing ok despite all that you have gone through :)
Hi Up Rovers, thank you.
I’m still awaiting the court date unfortunately! There is no sign of possible mediation or compromise. Just that he wants me to move out. He moved back into the family home so we are all under the same roof at the moment. It’s not pleasant.
We had a Child Maintenance hearing which went well though.

Just that he wants me to move out. He moved back into the family home so we are all under the same roof at the moment. It’s not pleasant.

Hi Dairylea,

Very sorry to hear this, can't be good for any of you. Hang tight and whatever you do don't move out :) Hope you get things sorted for yourself and the children.

Back